ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Incomplete playback in .mov

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matthew BlackwellIncomplete playback in .mov
by on Oct 18, 2010 at 1:21:22 pm

Hi all,

I've exported my comp as a .mov but on viewing it in Quicktime I've found that part of it will not play correctly.

The first part of the comp is a section of video footage (1920x1080) and it is this bit that doesn't play back correctly. Once the player has moved past this point of the movie, it has no problems and everything plays as it should be.

When I drag the time marker through this section in Quicktime I can see that all the frames are there, even though I can't watch them play.

Does anyone know why this is happening? Is it a problem with the export or the player? Or something else?

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Incomplete playback in .mov
by on Oct 18, 2010 at 3:10:59 pm

What codec is the video in the file encoded with?

In case you're curious where this line of questioning is going and want to skip ahead, see this FAQ entry:

I'm guessing that you used the default output module, and the QuickTime movie made with the Aniamtion codec has a data rate at that point in the movie that is too great for your computer to keep up with real-time playback.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support

Return to posts index

Matthew BlackwellRe: Incomplete playback in .mov
by on Oct 19, 2010 at 8:50:42 am

Yes, I just imported it as it was, a 215MB .mov.

So does this mean that I need to encode this file before I import to AE, and if so, what format and what program can I use to do this?

Thanks for your help on this!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Incomplete playback in .mov
by on Oct 19, 2010 at 2:28:26 pm

It's just a playback hiccup. There's NOTHING wrong. Okay, I don't know that for sure, but I bet things are just fine. You did things the right way by making a high-quality file.

To reassure yourself that things are okay, just drop that high-quality file into Adobe Media Encoder and make an h.264 file or something like that. Happiness ensues.

But don't USE that file: keep the good one. You'll be glad you did when you use the good one in your next application.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved