ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Trying to create a burning effect on video

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matthew Troyansky
Trying to create a burning effect on video
on Oct 15, 2010 at 4:26:21 pm

Hello Creative Cow,

Let me start out by saying i don't know much about AE, I'm new to working with it and have only done basic things with it. I am working with AE 9 is CS4.

I'm trying to create an effect that essentially burns up the video as if you lit the corner of a piece of paper and the fire engulfs it from right to left.

So far I have added the CCBlobbylize effect which I like and has given me the kind of disintegration look that you would see when burning a piece of paper.

Then i also created some fire using the fractal noise effect but my problem is it just looks cheesy. Ideally i would like to just figure out a way to incorporate fire on the edges of the Blobbylize effect instead of an entire layer of fire under my video. Does anyone know how I would be able to achieve this look? I saw the creating fire tutorial using fractal noise but that tutorial is for a still image. I'm trying to add something like that but have it move with my blobbylize edges. Thank you in advance for any insight.

-Matt

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Trying to create a burning effect on video
on Oct 15, 2010 at 4:55:27 pm

There are quite a few tutorials on the COW that you can look at to make fire:
http://library.creativecow.net/search.php?q=fire+%22Adobe+After+Effects%22

Sadly, I don't have any personal experience with them; in those limited instances where I've needed fire I've done it as a practical effect by actually shooting fire.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Oct 15, 2010 at 8:17:08 pm

You don't even need to search the tutorials; there's a whole section (link on the right of the tutorials page) dedicated to fire. Including this old-school one using Fractal Noise. (When I say "old-school", I mean it uses AE version 5.5 - CS5 is actually version 10)

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Oct 15, 2010 at 8:18:48 pm

Sorry, I see that you already found the Bonanza tutorial.

Is there any reason you can't shoot actual fire? It's way more fun and way more realistic.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Matthew Troyansky
on Oct 15, 2010 at 8:21:29 pm

I have live action fire but i don't know how to manipulate it and have it "burn up" the video so i thought i would be able to do it AE.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]