ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

making a simple countdown clock AE

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alex Popowychmaking a simple countdown clock AE
by on Oct 14, 2010 at 10:02:13 pm

Hi all,

I searched and counldn't seem to come across a post that fit my needs--

I am doing a fitness video for a client, and it requires a 20 second, 10 second, and total workout running time countdown clock to be displayed on screen during the video.

I successfully downloaded countdown clock script for AE, but it gave me no control as to font, color, etc.

Can someone point me to a tutorial, or run me through step by step on how to do this? I'm pretty experienced in photoshop, FCP and Avid but very new to AE. Any help appreciated!!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: making a simple countdown clock AE
by on Oct 14, 2010 at 10:41:41 pm

Oh, I see you thought my buddy Michael was directing you to this forum. Actually, it was a link to valuable info for beginners in AE:

And Michael's right about the Numbers effect. I THINK you have to apply it to a solid. Leading or trailing zeros on the timecode setting may not go away... I forget which. Thus, you may have to cut a mask on a second solid and use it as a track matte to conceal the unwanted digits.

I hope you're not obsessed with to-the-frame timings, because this effect doesn't know about drop frame time code. But hey, if you're just counting minutes & seconds down, it's good enough.

Now, if any of the AE lingo I threw around above is confusing, that's the reason Michael gave you that link, and why I also included it. Considering the other applications you use, you could proceed through it quickly.

But don't ignore the basics in AE: those misguided individuals who think they can blow them off very quickly find themselves confused, frustrated and generally at a loss even on projects of mild complexity.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved