ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Resolution problem (720X480)

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Justin ProductionsResolution problem (720X480)
by on Oct 12, 2010 at 7:38:06 pm

Hey guys,

I'm having difficulties with importing (and exporting) video footage that was shot with a semi-profesionnal camera.

The footage is 720 X 480 and the aspect ratio is 1,19. When I drag the file (from the Project window) on the Comp icon, it creates a new composition with the settings above. But strangely, the video footage seems a little "squashed". If I export it this way, the size will remain 720 X 480, but the exported footage will remain more squashed than the original one (because of the aspect ratio)?

So I was wondering if there was a way to import such a video into After Effects and change its settings from the "Interpret footage" menu or in the Comp settings so the video doesn't get "squashed" when exported (or viewed in the Comp window).

The only solution I've found is to change the aspect ratio to Square Pixels (from the "Interpret footage" menu and the Comp settings) and resize it to 853X480. But of course, even if it's the same width as the original video (when opened from Quicktime), I don't think this is the best thing to do.

Thank you for your time.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Resolution problem (720X480)
by on Oct 12, 2010 at 8:14:33 pm

You don't have to do a thing differently except to toggle on the pixel aspect ratio switch at the bottom of the comp window. Text may look jagged when toggled on, but renders smoothly.

I see you said, "export". Don't do that -- render using AE's Render Queue -- much better.

You should also wrap your head around the concept of Pixel Aspect Ratio, and you'll find a TON on it below:

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Justin ProductionsRe: Resolution problem (720X480)
by on Oct 12, 2010 at 8:20:02 pm

I can't believe I didn't know about this "Toggle aspect ratio" button. Is this new to CS3?

As for the "export", it was just another way of saying "Exporting via the Make Movie option". I never use the "Export" for video.

Thank you very much for the tip Dave. I'm surprised you're still around after all these years. I was very active here in 2005-06.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved