ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Movement is Not Smooth

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric Futterman
Movement is Not Smooth
on Oct 11, 2010 at 3:19:17 pm

Lately on my After Effects 7.0 When I take a word graphic and move it side by side...or take a photo and move it from angle to angle..the movement has lost it's smoothness. This didn't use to happen.

This tells me either I inadvertently changed a setting or I'm just not doing something right.

Help please.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
Re: Movement is Not Smooth
on Oct 11, 2010 at 4:34:47 pm

can you define smoothness..?

is it that the start and/or start positions are abrupt, and you want them to ease in/out from the keyframes. if so, just select the keyframe(s) and choose animation>keyframe assistant>easy-ease.

if it's that there is no interpolation between keyframes, like it jumps from one position to the next, then you probably have set hold keyframes. to set those back, command-click (osx) or alt-click (windows) the keyframes and that should change them to diamond shapes and normal linear interpolation -- you could also select the keyframes and choose animation>keyframe interpolation and set the temporal interpolation from hold to linear.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Eric Futterman
on Oct 11, 2010 at 4:57:25 pm

Thanks for the fast response. It's actually that the movement itself isn't smooth. So when I have a graphic logo moving from screen right to screen left it's just not smooth.

Or when I both zoom in on a photo and angle it it's not smooth.

I just ordered upgrade from 7.0 to CS5. Package will come in soon. Maybe that will help. I design well but I'm not technically proficient.

thanks again for your reply.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 11, 2010 at 8:14:31 pm

It could also be that you're using a low frame rate, or you're not RAM Previewing in real time.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Eric Futterman
on Oct 11, 2010 at 8:16:20 pm

Low Frame rate...hmmm. I'll have to check that out. Not sure how to but thanks so much for checking in.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 11, 2010 at 8:31:06 pm

Go to your comp settings, Command-k Mac, Ctl-k Win. Frame rate is right there.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Jersahi Gomez
on Nov 2, 2016 at 6:02:23 pm

I think that refers jumping between frames, I happened the same problem, no smooth interpolation, my text layer moves abruptly between frames, my project is 23.97 fps and 1920 x 1080, I must say I do not remember that problem before.

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Oct 11, 2010 at 8:17:56 pm

how fast is the move (ie. how many pixels is the move over how many frames)? and what is the frame rate of the comp?

also, is motion blur enabled for the layer and the preview window?

if the movement is too fast it can appear 'strobe-like'... motion blur can often help, as can rendering with fields if you are rendering to a format that uses fields (sd, 1080i..)

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Oct 11, 2010 at 8:20:34 pm

dave's got a good point about ram preview...

in ae, make sure you can see the info window/panel (window>info). then, when you preview do you see the frame rate that it is running at, and does that match the comp's rate, or say 'not realtime'?

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 11, 2010 at 8:29:32 pm

[Eric Futterman] "I just ordered upgrade from 7.0 to CS5. Package will come in soon. Maybe that will help. "

Just caught that. I hope you checked the system requirements before you ordered. If you're not running a 64-bit operating system, you won't be able to use the software. And know that AE 10 just LOVES memory. Oodles of it. Got 16 GB or more?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]