ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

A very easy fade in

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Maria Diaz
A very easy fade in
on Oct 1, 2010 at 6:27:28 pm

I'm an AE beginner and I'm trying to achieve a very easy effect but don't know how: an image is revealed by having squares in a grid (or mosaics, or whatever) appear randomly. The squares don't move around, they simply appear randomly until the entire image is revealed. Any ideas?

Return to posts index

Mike Tomei
Re: A very easy fade in
on Oct 1, 2010 at 6:53:59 pm

Not sure that I'm picturing it the same as you are, but I'm thinking that you could use some masking.

This talks about keying, but also masking:
http://www.videocopilot.net/basic/tutorials/04.Keying/

Intel i7-930 2.8GHz
12 GB RAM
1 GB VRAM
Adobe Production Premium CS5
http://www.miketomei.com

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
on Oct 1, 2010 at 7:11:34 pm

I would recommend creating a solid layer in a new composition and adding the Noise & Grain > Fractal Noise effect to it. Change the settings so that you have a series of blocks:

Fractal Type - Basic (some others may work)
Noise Type - Block
Complexity - 1.0

Then place this composition inside the composition with your image (where the transition will occur). Add a Transition > Gradient Wipe to the image. For the Gradient Layer choose the blocky pre-composition you just placed here, for Gradient Placement you'll probably find that 'Stretch Gradient to Fit' or 'Center Gradient' will work.

Now you can animate the Transition Completion from 100% (the image is invisible) down to 0% (the image is fully visible). You can set the Transition Softness to some percentage if you want each square to fade in, a higher percentage means a longer fade.

Gradient Wipe is an awesome transition you can use to control the reveal of an image using a grayscale map. I'd recommend playing with the fractal noise composition to see what else you can do!

Let me know if I can clarify any steps here.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Jorge Mike
on Mar 28, 2012 at 3:43:32 pm

Thank you, worked perfectly.

Now, another question. How can I add a colored grid, so the blocks fade-in just inside each block of the grid.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]