ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

A very easy fade in

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Maria DiazA very easy fade in
by on Oct 1, 2010 at 6:27:28 pm

I'm an AE beginner and I'm trying to achieve a very easy effect but don't know how: an image is revealed by having squares in a grid (or mosaics, or whatever) appear randomly. The squares don't move around, they simply appear randomly until the entire image is revealed. Any ideas?

Return to posts index

Mike TomeiRe: A very easy fade in
by on Oct 1, 2010 at 6:53:59 pm

Not sure that I'm picturing it the same as you are, but I'm thinking that you could use some masking.

This talks about keying, but also masking:

Intel i7-930 2.8GHz
Adobe Production Premium CS5

Return to posts index

Darby EdelenRe: A very easy fade in
by on Oct 1, 2010 at 7:11:34 pm

I would recommend creating a solid layer in a new composition and adding the Noise & Grain > Fractal Noise effect to it. Change the settings so that you have a series of blocks:

Fractal Type - Basic (some others may work)
Noise Type - Block
Complexity - 1.0

Then place this composition inside the composition with your image (where the transition will occur). Add a Transition > Gradient Wipe to the image. For the Gradient Layer choose the blocky pre-composition you just placed here, for Gradient Placement you'll probably find that 'Stretch Gradient to Fit' or 'Center Gradient' will work.

Now you can animate the Transition Completion from 100% (the image is invisible) down to 0% (the image is fully visible). You can set the Transition Softness to some percentage if you want each square to fade in, a higher percentage means a longer fade.

Gradient Wipe is an awesome transition you can use to control the reveal of an image using a grayscale map. I'd recommend playing with the fractal noise composition to see what else you can do!

Let me know if I can clarify any steps here.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Jorge MikeRe: A very easy fade in
by on Mar 28, 2012 at 3:43:32 pm

Thank you, worked perfectly.

Now, another question. How can I add a colored grid, so the blocks fade-in just inside each block of the grid.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved