ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Lock scale

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alex OharaLock scale
by on Sep 30, 2010 at 12:03:45 pm

Is there a way to make an object maintain it's scale while its parant being moved and scaled w/o having to use tracker? Like for example city names and points on the scaling map.

I know how to motion track but that is not an option in my case as there are too many objects to track and the general animation is a subject to many tweeks and changes. Any painless workaround?

Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Lock scale
by on Sep 30, 2010 at 3:29:42 pm

you are probably looking at an expression... either an expression to link the position to the parent's position and avoid using straight parenting; or an expression to modify the scale in respect to the parent's scale (essentially increase the scale as the parent's scale goes down).

if you are not having issues with any other 'parented' properties, it's probably easiest to leave the parenting in place and use an expression to affect just scale. something like this should keep the child's scale constant:

x = value[0]*(100/parent.scale[0]);
y = value[1]*(100/parent.scale[1]);

just copy and paste that into the child's scale expression field (to enable expressions for a property, select it and choose animation>add expression).

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer

Return to posts index

Alex OharaRe: Lock scale
by on Sep 30, 2010 at 4:14:38 pm

While waiting for my question premoderation, recalled basic math and came up with the similar expression after messing with stupid copying of parent scaling values and inverse it on the child object composition (but that wasn't so elegant and I still had to tweek every single child if I change parent values).

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved