ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Easing: Annoying jumps and spikes in graph editor

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kim Taylor
Easing: Annoying jumps and spikes in graph editor
on Sep 28, 2010 at 3:09:14 pm

Hi all,
I've had this problem loads so I can only assume this is a common problem. Apologies if this has been addressed in another thread, I'm not sure what to search for.

I'm getting some unexpected jumps and movement in the my animations when I use easing on animations.
In this case I'm animating some objects spatially, I move a clip on the stage and add 'easy ease' on the end keyframe so that it slows down gradually to the new position.

This is how the graph editor looks like for the position parameter
http://twitpic.com/2st2xw

OK, all good. But then I add another keyframe at the same position later on in the movie by clicking the diamond next to 'position'. Same position, but this happens.

http://twitpic.com/2st4sh
What's with the strange 'hump'?

This creates an annoying and very noticeable kink in my animation, as the object consequently moves on screen. I hate this! I have this all the time and the best I can do is try and surpress it by adding an identical keyframe directly after the 'hump' keyframe, and then animate as usual.

what can be done?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Easing: Annoying jumps and spikes in graph editor
on Sep 28, 2010 at 4:19:46 pm

Highlight the second keyfame. Use the Toggle Hold Keyframe command. Happiness ensues.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Kim Taylor
on Sep 28, 2010 at 4:37:02 pm

Hi Dave,
thanks for your quick reply. This is a solution!

Any idea why it does this though? To me it seems like rather peculiar behaviour, is it a bug?
Thanks

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 28, 2010 at 4:52:41 pm

It's just one of those things that AE does.

To find out more, nose around for Aharon Rabinowitz' video podcasts here on the COW on the Boomerang Effect. You'll also learn about another way to solve your particular problem, but I like the one I told you about better.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
on Sep 28, 2010 at 7:50:59 pm

[Kim Taylor] "Any idea why it does this though? To me it seems like rather peculiar behaviour, is it a bug?"

It's not technically a bug. Everything is working as it should.

The problem is actually not in the temporal interpolation between keyframes (the graph editor) but rather in the spatial interpolation between them. AE defaults to using auto-bezier curves between keyframes, which can cause 2 keyframes that are close to each other to behave strangely.

I recommend that "Default Spatial Interpolation to Linear" should be enabled in your General After Effects preferences. You can then add curves in the motion path with the pen tool later if desired.

The 'hold' keyframe technique works as well, but only if the keyframes are at exactly the same position.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Sep 28, 2010 at 8:10:09 pm

Here are the tutorial/podcasts that Dave referenced:
Part one and part two

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Kim Taylor
on Sep 29, 2010 at 9:20:50 am

Nice, thanks for the explanation all

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]