ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

frame by frame audio scrubbing

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
tim chaveframe by frame audio scrubbing
by on Sep 23, 2010 at 1:13:21 pm

trying to sync moving patterns to a beat for a music video. in final cut i can visual/audio scrub frame by frame using the cursor keys to check edits are in sync with the beat, trying to do the same in ae (visual+audio scrub frame by frame) but can only find the cmd/drag time ruler technique which i'm finding tricky & not that acurate.

is there a way to visual+audio scrub frame by frame, or any other tips/solutions anyone can offer. thanks, Tim.

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: frame by frame audio scrubbing
by on Sep 23, 2010 at 3:21:43 pm

AE is not terribly great at working with audio. You can get a plugin like Sound Keys (which is awesome) for generating keyframe data from an audio file, but it doesn't sound like what you're looking for in this instance.
A lot of people will do an edit to the music of a black solid over white or something similar in their NLE and use that as a reference in AE.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: frame by frame audio scrubbing
by on Sep 23, 2010 at 3:32:04 pm

To add to what Michael says, I like the idea of cutting two different-colored slugs to the beat in FCP, then using Compressor to export a tiny-little (120x120 is fine) video for use in AE.

If you REALLY want to scrub in AE, just turn on the caps lock key to keep the screen from updating. Then you can command-drag the timeline cursor to scrub. If you command-click one the timeline cursor but don't move it, AE plays the next 10 frames of audio or so.

Once you find the beat, you can put a marker on the audio layer as a visual reference.

And it probably wouldn't hurt to read this:

Check out the topics at the top of the page, don't overlook the links on subsequent pages, and check for anything in the Comments section at the bottom of each page.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

tim chaveRe: frame by frame audio scrubbing
by on Oct 19, 2010 at 5:41:27 pm

thanks for the advice gonna go with fcp option i think greeat idea!!!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved