ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Why/when do you use a null object to control a camera

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Beau BrothertonWhy/when do you use a null object to control a camera
by on Sep 20, 2010 at 6:22:26 pm

So this is something that I see a lot in tutorials and I have never had it explained. But why should you do this or when is it suggested to use a null object to control a camera?

I use AE a lot, but for basic stuff, but I have a project coming up where I will be doing a good amount of movement. I'm going to be creating a coffee table look that has polaroids laying on top of the table. These polaroids will have video inside of them. Then I want to have a camera move and rotate around revealing the unseen sections of the table, etc.

So would I use a camera controlled by a null here? I have gone through the AE Apprentice book but it never taught using nulls as camera controls...I don't think.

Thanks! :)

-Beau Brotherton-
FCP | AE | HVX200

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Why/when do you use a null object to control a camera
by on Sep 20, 2010 at 7:45:00 pm

I'd hook at null to a camera when I wouldn't want to fool with the actual camera controls, which yield unexpected results unless you're experienced with them.

You want to pan & tilt, the no-nonsense kind? Nothin' like a null for that duty!

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Why/when do you use a null object to control a camera
by on Sep 21, 2010 at 7:03:43 am

There are some tutorials here that show how to move and animate a camera. Several of them show how and why using a null object layer makes working with cameras easier.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Drew PertlRe: Why/when do you use a null object to control a camera
by on Sep 22, 2010 at 4:17:34 am

Your definitely going to want to parent your camera to a null object. Here's a link to video copilot tutorial that addressed this topic and includes a really useful plugin for this technique.

http://www.videocopilot.net/tutorials/sure_target_2/

Drew Pertl
http://www.DrewPertl.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]