ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Exporting a lot of layers

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ed WillmoreExporting a lot of layers
by on Sep 20, 2010 at 8:26:27 am

Ammeter night again. I'm having difficulty exporting 24 layers into a quicktime (computer's probably not up to it).
I had the brilliant idea of splitting the file into foreground and background-then exporting, and pulling them into a new project. But I found out AFX gives you a black background if you haven't put one in, blocking the other layers I'd done for the back.
Can anyone help?
Ed

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Exporting a lot of layers
by on Sep 20, 2010 at 5:13:41 pm

First thing: don't export. Render using the AE Render Queue. Exporting's for weenies. Now onto the issue at hand.

Segregate your one comp into Foreground and Background comps. When you render the foreground comp, you need to create transparency by making an Alpha channel.
http://podcasts.creativecow.net/multimedia-101-podcast/what-is-an-alpha-cha...

You need to know whether the application in which you'll use your rendered AE files wants one of two kinds of Alpha Channel: Straight or Premultiplied.
http://podcasts.creativecow.net/multimedia-101-podcast/what-is-a-straight-r...

Then you have to select a codec that supports alpha channels. The best for this kind of stuff is either Quicktime's Animation or PNG codecs.

Then in your comp's Output Module, you select the codec, RGB+Alpha, Millions of Colors +, and either Straight or Premultiplied... or make both, and see which one works. Then you'll know.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Ed WillmoreRe: Exporting a lot of layers
by on Sep 21, 2010 at 9:43:55 am

Sorry Dave, I think I've understated my incompetence. When you say segregate the levels into separate comps I know you don't mean different projects, but I can't see how I'd do the grouping I need to. In flash I would put everything in symbols, but I cant get things to do that in AFX!
Don't worry if this is too tedious to answer in full, I can do it all in flash and sacrifice the effects without too many people noticing.
Thanks. Ed

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Exporting a lot of layers
by on Sep 21, 2010 at 3:10:38 pm

Put the backgroundf layers into one comp, and the foreground layers in another comp. Check for transparency in the foreground comp by hitting the background switch at the bottom of the comp window. If there's transparency, you'll see the familiar Photoshop gray checkerboard.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]