ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Two color text

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Maik DiederenTwo color text
by on Sep 16, 2010 at 11:46:17 am

Hi there,

I'm trying for a few days now to color my text in AE with TWO colors. I'm trying to begin with white and end with purple. So the top is white and the bottom of the text is purple. I can't find anything in tuts so i really hope someone could help me. Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Two color text
by on Sep 16, 2010 at 1:20:49 pm

Off the top of my head, I can think of 3 ways to do this.

1. Create a color composition. Put purple solid on the bottom half of the composition, a white on the top half. They need to overlap. Bring that precomp into your text comp. Place the text on a layer over color comp and change the color comps TrkMat to "alpha". You will have to move the text around until it's exactly where you want it. Then parent the color comp to the text. You will be able to move it anywhere after that and the colors will follow.

2. You could put your colors in the same composition with your text. Place the text on the top layer and change it's Mode to Stencil Alpha. This would work okay, if it's the only thing in the comp, but if you start using other layer modes, it could mess things up. Best thing would to make this it's own precomp and bring the entire thing into your final.

3. Create your text and under layer styles choose gradient...Won't give you a sharp line, but a nice smooth transition between colors.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Two color text
by on Sep 16, 2010 at 5:16:49 pm

you could also try the ramp effect on the text layer.

use the color chips to pick you two colors, then position the ramp start and end points as needed to create the effect you are after (smooth transition, hard transition, somewhere in between).

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer

Return to posts index

Chris WrightRe: Two color text
by on Sep 16, 2010 at 5:34:50 pm

transition-linear wipe, which has feathering built in over a dup text with diff color. easy smeasy

Return to posts index

Maik DiederenRe: Two color text
by on Sep 17, 2010 at 11:54:34 am

Thanks everybody!!!! The ramp effect works best for me :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved