ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

CS5 Render Settings for avchd files

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jeremy lee
CS5 Render Settings for avchd files
on Sep 15, 2010 at 3:29:31 am

My station bought panasonic hmc150s and now I need render settings for the render queue. I do a basic edit in CS5 Premiere Pro then import the project in After Effect CS5 and do the effect and what not....then in the past (SD settings) I would render a "DV Settings - Windows AVI" import that file back into Premiere and master onto beta for master control....but with this .mts - avchd I am concern with using the correct settings. Can I get a little help.....

Thanks
Jeremy Lee
Creative Service Producer
WGBC TV - Meridian, MS

Jeremy Lee
Creative Services Producer
WMDN 24

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: CS5 Render Settings for avchd files
on Sep 15, 2010 at 3:03:47 pm

I don't know how satisfied you're going to be with the results of your AE work, sorry to say. I think you should also re-think your workflow.

AVCHD should only be considered as an acquisition codec ONLY. It can't stand up to re-rendering, because it's as lossy as DV, if not more so. This means your video -- not to mention any graphics, text, etc. included in your AE comps -- will take a big quality hit rendering back to AVCHD.

You won't like to hear this, but I heartily recommend going back to Square One. If there's any way you can re-capture the video in a different codec in Premiere, and then render in a lossless codec in AE, I think you'll be a LOT happier with the result.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

jeremy lee
on Sep 15, 2010 at 4:28:09 pm

Hi Dave,
Thanks for your reply.

Are you familiar with Rushworks? It is the ingest system we use at our station. Once we have our master we run the AVI out of Adobe Media Encoder and it turns the AVI into a MPEG.....

Last week I shoot our city's mayor state of the city address on my Cannon HG20 and did lite editing in Premier and ran the .mts file in the Media Encoder for the Rushwork setting and it looked good on air.

The file went from .mts (1080) to .mpeg (480) and it looked good like I said.

But I am interested in what you said about work flow so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...funny because I made this work for me and I think it is fine so if you can so me something different I think that would be awesome!

Thanks

Jeremy Lee
WMDN 24

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 15, 2010 at 8:57:35 pm

If you're making spots or promos, that almost always means some rendering in AE. Hey, I do it all the time.

If you can capture in something other than a lossy-to-very-lossy codec -- which is what you're doing now with m2t and mpeg, you'll be a lot happier with the results, especially if you have to do any prerendering in AE.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

jeremy lee
on Sep 15, 2010 at 10:51:32 pm

I'm confused....is there a book or training program that you would recommend? It sounds like I have a lot of work ahead of me until I can figure this out...lucky for me I am shooting a car lot spot tomorrow and I will get my first chance to produce a spot from the footage I shoot on the Panasonic 150....I will keep you posted on what I find out for myself....
Thanks again Dave!

Jeremy Lee
WMDN 24

Return to posts index

jeremy lee
on Sep 16, 2010 at 4:58:17 am

I'm confused....is there a book or training program that you would recommend? It sounds like ....

Plus I am using CS5 AE so maybe it won't be a problem.....like I said I'll tell you what I find out....

Jeremy Lee
WMDN 24

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 20, 2010 at 2:54:31 pm

[jeremy lee] "...is there a book or training program that you would recommend?"

The best: Total Training's AE course on DVD.
Next best: Chris and Trish Meyer's books on AE. I don't know if the new one for AE 10 is out yet.
Freebies: Videocopilot. net... and, of course, right here on the COW.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Jeff Adams
on Sep 23, 2010 at 4:02:48 am

Hello! I have been dealing with AVCHD since 2007, which means for me I've only been actually editing it since about mid 2008. So, I know how attractive it is to use in a workflow, but I don't know your workflow or the other person posting. But, I do believe he's right.

I recently upgraded to a new system that makes After Effects more attractive for me to learn. Despite the fact that I'm using an i7 980X based machine, I am finding rewrapping the AVCHD files into Cineform AVI files attractive for various reasons:

1.) clips are profoundly more fun to edit in Premiere and I am excited to start editing
2.) it's easier on my system, hey, it has feelings too!
3.) this increase in performance enables me to be more creative

I didn't want to convert, or rewrap, or whatever it was because back in 2007 or 2008 sometime I tried to do this with some crappy software that was $100 and it took FOREVER and made the files WAY TOO BIG.

But, now I can turn 24 gigs of AVCHD, which is a typical project size, relatively relatively fast an save it to a terabyte drive separate from my primary drive where i store my project media files.

I'm knocking out projects significantly faster this way. I didn't want to add another step to my workflow but this is worth it!

Cineform makes Neoscene which is a software solution to convert them. However, Adobe Media Encoder will do it I think but mine is having trouble with the audio...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]