ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Trouble using 3D with Imported PSDs

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joe SayerTrouble using 3D with Imported PSDs
by on Sep 14, 2010 at 2:03:15 am

Hey Guys,

I'm working on a motion graphics project and I've unfortunately stumbled across an issue which has stopped me right in my tracks.

The project involves importing multi layered PSDs into After Effects to be animated, and I intend to utilise the 3D switch to give a little depth to the design.

The issue I am experiencing is that with the 3D switch enabled, AE doesn't seem to want to render 2D and 3D layers at the same time. For example, I have a solid coloured background which disappears when I enable 3D. Only by ensuring every single layer in the composition has 3D enabled will it render my entire composition.

So in effect, as soon as I introduce 3D elements to the composition, all the 2D elements are no longer rendered.

The continuous rasterisation switch doesn't seem to have any effect on this, and adding a camera will result in all of my 2D layers disappearing.

I know this isn't the standard behaviour, usually I have no problems combining 3D and 2D elements. The only difference here is I am using imported PSDs as assets.

I really hope I'm just being a tool and there's a clear solution to this problem, I can't continue working on this project until I sort it!

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Return to posts index

David JohnsonRe: Trouble using 3D with Imported PSDs
by on Sep 14, 2010 at 11:49:10 am

Is it possible that your 2D layers are just being hidden by the 3D layers because the 3D layers are in front of them in z space? Perhaps try moving each 3D layer forward in z space a bit.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved