ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Making and inflating a balloon

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kevin MaurerMaking and inflating a balloon
by on Sep 13, 2010 at 4:15:26 pm

Hi there. I am new to AE and am looking to accomplish something specific: a 3D balloon with the word SURPRISE written on it, inflating with each sound effect of air.

I'd be OK even if I couldn't get an image of a balloon, but at least had the text acting as if it was on a balloon (swelling larger, pushing outward, etc.).

Any thoughts on how a beginner might approach this? Thanks!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Making and inflating a balloon
by on Sep 13, 2010 at 5:04:41 pm

By far the easiest way to do this in AE is to shoot a REAL balloon on a rig against a chroma key background.

It's extremely difficult -- if not downright impossible -- to build a 3D balloon in AE. It takes an actual 3D application to do what you want.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Kevin MaurerRe: Making and inflating a balloon
by on Sep 13, 2010 at 5:40:57 pm

There's no 3D filter I could use, like in Photoshop? Wrap a solid color layer around a sphere, and perhaps use keyframes to change the diameter of the sphere? Or how about an effect to shape the text (arcs, fisheyes, etc.) and warp it like a balloon? Or even create a static image of a balloon with the words and then just animate it closer and closer to the camera?

I don't have rigs and back drops. Not to mention filming a balloon inflating without the interference of a person inflating it...know what I mean?

Return to posts index

Kevin MonahanRe: Making and inflating a balloon
by on Sep 13, 2010 at 6:20:14 pm

You will probably want to do this in a 3D program. Have you checked out Cinema 4D? If you don't have the funds, you can probably do it in Blender.

http://www.blender.org/

Kevin Monahan
Sr. Content and Community Lead
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe Systems, Inc.
Follow Me on Twitter!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Making and inflating a balloon
by on Sep 13, 2010 at 6:55:40 pm

[Kevin Maurer] "There's no 3D filter I could use, like in Photoshop?"

No, but you did mention a few ways to skin this particular cat already. I suppose it all comes down to how realistic this animation is supposed to be.

If you do decide to go with something like CC Sphere, know that you can make a square-pixel comp, 1200x2400 perhaps, put a solid in it, reduce its opacity to about 50%, and put the text in that comp, too. Then you can nest it in the main comp, apply CC Sphere to it and animate the effect's radius.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Making and inflating a balloon
by on Sep 13, 2010 at 8:18:04 pm

there's also the bulge effect

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Will ColesRe: Making and inflating a balloon
by on Apr 17, 2015 at 5:01:56 pm

I see this is an old post but in After Effects create a balloon like shape and put a radial gradient on it. Then you will want to keyframe Scale, Position, and a wave warp.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]