ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Time for a new Mac advice

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Todd BurrellTime for a new Mac advice
by on Sep 9, 2010 at 12:18:17 pm

Now that the new Mac Pros are out, I am ready to upgrade my system. I work in AE, FCP, Photoshop etc. I have saved and saved waiting for these new machines and have about $8000 set aside for this purchase. I am looking at the 12 core 2.66 or 2.93 machines with 32GB DDR3 memory from OWC. Is this overkill? It will be several years before I upgrade again and want to get something that will carry me for a while. Any recommendations/advice on what I should get would be greatly appreciated.
Sorry if this question has been posted, I've searched the forum and could not find anything on the new Macs.

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Time for a new Mac advice
by on Sep 10, 2010 at 11:48:21 pm

you might want to take a look at these benchmarks between various new macs running ae, compressor and motion benchmarks:

a 12-core wouldn't be overkill in ae, in my opinion.

fcp, motion and compressor won't take full advantage of 12-cores. and even though many apps can't use them all, having more cpus will allow you to have more of those apps running without battling for cpu time -- compressor could be compressing files as you continue to work in fcp and listening to itunes and you have enough cpus to go around...

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer

Return to posts index

Todd BurrellRe: Time for a new Mac advice
by on Sep 11, 2010 at 5:35:39 pm

Kevin, Thanks for the input and the barefeet link. It looks like the 12 core 2.93 wins the day. Going to this from a dual 2.0 G5 will be heaven. Time to place the order.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved