ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

edit animated mask

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mattias Molenedit animated mask
by on Sep 8, 2010 at 7:36:07 am

Hi guys,

For my project I created a mask. After the mask was finished I animated the mask path. After rendering I wanted to edit the mask a little bit, just by moving to vertexes a little bit. But when I do this AE will ad another keyframe to my mask path.

So what I really want to do is moving two vertexes from the original mask so that it won't effect the rest of the animation. I tried double clicking the mask and than edit it but this has the same effect.

Is it possible or do I have to delete all the keyframes, than edit the mask and animate it again?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: edit animated mask
by on Sep 8, 2010 at 2:43:23 pm

Put your timeline cursor (CTI) on the exact Mask Path keyframe you want to change, then change your mask vertices. You'll be good. You may discover that you have to also tweak the keyframes on either side of your target keyframe, so just move the timeline cursor to them and tweak away.

If you put the timeline cursor any place else, AE will simply make a new keyframe, as you've discovered.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Mattias MolenRe: edit animated mask
by on Sep 8, 2010 at 3:20:58 pm

That's where I was afraid of... Because there are a lot of keyframes. I hoped I could just edit the mask itself. Because the mask doesn't have to change trough out the timeline.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: edit animated mask
by on Sep 8, 2010 at 5:49:05 pm

[Mattias Molen] "...the mask doesn't have to change trough out the timeline."

Oh, well that's different! Here's what to do:
  • Make a solid that is the exact same size and pixel aspect ratio as your video layer.
  • Copy ONE mask path keyframe from the video layer and paste it into the solid.
  • Turn the mask mode on the video layer to None: you don't need it any more.
  • Make your mask vertex changes to the solid.
  • Use the solid as a track matte for the video layer, animating position, scale, etc. as necessary.

That ought to do the trick.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Mattias MolenRe: edit animated mask
by on Sep 14, 2010 at 7:56:35 am

Sorry for my late reply. Another project has come up. I'll get back to you later this week when I continue this project.

Tnx.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]