ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Render Queue problem

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Balazs Frank
Render Queue problem
on Sep 7, 2010 at 6:28:21 pm

Hi,

I have a big master comp in AE CS4, where each comp is on separate layer, there are 16 layers. I select the first, set the In-Out point with the Alt+Ctrl+B, and then add this to the Render Queue.

I apply these steps to the rest 15 layers.
When checking the rendering settings, the In and Out frames are indicated well. So there are 16 jobs now in the Render Queue.

Now the problem is that all movie is rendered with the last set In/Out region, and I have the SAME movie rendered 16x times!!!
It really drives me mad... hope it is not the way works...

Please help: how to render each section (layer) to its movie file?

Thanks,
Balazs

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Render Queue problem
on Sep 7, 2010 at 6:31:49 pm

The comp is the most basic unit of rendering in AE. You can't render out individual layers in a comp, you have to render out all layers in a comp at the same time.

To do what you seek, I'd say it's time for Plan B.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Balazs Frank
on Sep 7, 2010 at 6:36:02 pm

In the Renders Settings there is a setting called "Time Span".

When I set "Work Area Only", doesn't it mean that it will only render that segment of a comp? It works for RAM Previews, but really it does not work with a lengthy Comp?

Is there any workaround?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 7, 2010 at 6:50:25 pm

Okay, now I'm confused.

Are you saying that you have 16 layers, one directly on top of the other in the comp timeline?
Or are you saying you have 16 layers, one following another in consecutive order in the comp timeline?

Not that it matters: you still need 16 individual comps. In your case, you'd do well to duplicate the original comp 16 times, isolate one layer by deleting the extraneous layers, setting the beginning and ending of the work area to the layer's in and out points, using the Trim Comp
To Work Area command, and adding each comp to the render queue.

If you're fast, it shouldn't take any more than 5 minutes.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Balazs Frank
on Sep 7, 2010 at 7:12:33 pm

Thanks for the suggestion, it is a workaround, it was well within 5 minutes...

The layers were consecutive, each following the other.

I think this is a very illogical working method of AE. The manual says:

"Time Span - How much of the composition to render. To render the entire composition, choose Length Of Comp. To render only the part of the composition indicated by the work-area markers, choose Work Area Only. To render a custom time span, choose Custom. (See “Work area” on page 201.)"

And here are some workarounds - it is a shame that an easy task like this has to be done with scripts:
http://www.crgreen.com/aescripts/ and the Queue_Comp_Sections.jsx
Will try it out when will have some more time....

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 7, 2010 at 7:27:11 pm

Ah, but you were doing those adjustments to THE SAME COMP. AE only remembered the most recent adjustment made, see? That's why you got 16 identical renders and why you need 16 comps.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Balazs Frank
on Sep 7, 2010 at 7:31:56 pm

Exactly.

AE should work not by the LAST setting, but by the actual setting fixed into a render job at the time when it was added to the render queue. Very annoying thing, but the workaround you suggested works now.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 7, 2010 at 7:44:27 pm

[Balazs Frank] "...AE should work not by the LAST setting, but by the actual setting fixed into a render job at the time when it was added to the render queue...."

I think it's fine the way it is, and here's why:

I often have to revisit comps I've made in the past. To make it easier, I save my project file BEFORE I render, and I NEVER save the project file after I render. When I open the project file next time, all the comps are in the Render Queue, ready to go.

So I make my changes, delete and add layers, make the comp longer or shorter as necessary, etc. I simply check mark the modified comps in the Render Queue, save the project, and render.

If AE remembered the last time I added the changed comp, it wouldn't see all the changes I just made. Now, THAT would be a lot more inconvenient, if you ask me. I'm glad it works the way it does.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Sep 7, 2010 at 8:51:05 pm

If you really need to layers separately, see the script from Jeff Alamsol linked to from here.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]