ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Clips lag in quicktime player

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Viking JonssonClips lag in quicktime player
by on Sep 3, 2010 at 10:22:59 pm

Last week I noticed that my rendered after effect videos get stuck when I play them in Quicktime player.

The clip starts but after about 1-2 seconds it gets stuck, sound keeps playing and I and the clip keeps playing in the "timeline" but the picture is stuck... I've tried watching it in DivX and VLC and the same thing happens... Now I'm in some real trouble. It's only clips that I have worked on in After Effects that seems to get stuck this way. Anyone knows why?

I've tried searching the world wide web for answers but no one seems to know..

I've got: 2.54 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3.
It has worked perfect until last week.. so I do not use the wrong settings, it must be something else.
I use CS4.

Return to posts index

Viking JonssonRe: Clips lag in quicktime player
by on Sep 3, 2010 at 11:37:24 pm

I have made some tests and I noticed it lags a tiny bit when I render i to 1920x1080 prores422 hq.
Which it never has before. When I choose to render as Animation, it is really laggy and unwatchable. Why have this happend. I have rendered files in animation before without any problems

Named after Viking Eggeling

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Clips lag in quicktime player
by on Sep 4, 2010 at 12:24:07 am

the media that was rendered from ae probably exceeds the data rate/bandwidth of your drive.

if you rendered an uncompressed/lossless file from ae at 1920x1080 the file is probably somewhere around 200mb/s.

generally ae is not the final destination for a project. normally renders will go to an nle for editing, and thus get transcoded into what the nle is set up to work in. if this is the final, try taking the file from ae into a compression utility and compressing to a lighter bandwidth file, like and mp4 with h.264 compression.

i often use mpeg streamclip to export mp4s for approvals... anything that can do multipass encoding, should do a good job of compressing and maintaining a good level of quality.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved