ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

smoothing out keyframe values

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marcus Round
smoothing out keyframe values
on Sep 3, 2010 at 4:59:27 am

I am using track motion to anchor a layer to a parent layer, but the movement is very jittery. Every frame has a keyframe value, which jumps up or down noticeably each frame, resulting in jitter.

Is there a way to smooth out the keyframe values?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Marcus Round
Re: smoothing out keyframe values
on Sep 3, 2010 at 7:04:37 am

would also like to add that I would much prefer a automated or semi-automated way to do it (rather than say removing keyframes manually) as it is a very long (5 minute) take

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 3, 2010 at 4:37:50 pm

This could be more than just a tracking problem.

Can you please tell us about the kind of footage you're trying to track? Codec? AE Version? Frame Rate? H&V resolution? Progressive/interlaced?

It'll help diagnose the problem more effectively.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Marcus Round
on Sep 4, 2010 at 3:12:42 am

it is canon 5d footage, so 1080p h264 at 23.976.

Regardless, is there a way to do what I asked?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Sep 5, 2010 at 5:01:51 pm

Yup, I bet the nature of your footage is messingu the track. You may not have to move keyframes at all. But you will have some prep work to do. Here's why:

Dave's Stock Answer #1:

If the footage you imported into AE is any kind of the following -- footage in an HDV acquisition codec, MPEG1, MPEG2, AVCHD, mp4, m2t, H.261 or H.264 -- you need to convert it to a different codec.

These kinds of footage use temporal, or interframe compression. They have keyframes at regular intervals, containing complete frame information. However, the frames in between do NOT have complete information. Interframe codecs toss out duplicated information.

In order to maintain peak rendering efficiency, AE needs complete information for each and every frame. But because these kinds of footage contain only partial information, AE freaks out, resulting in a wide variety of problems.

H.264 should be considered as an acquisition codec ONLY. It can't hold up under conditions where you have to render or rerender. Your image quality will suffer if you do.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]