ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Drawing Effect

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark AdamsDrawing Effect
by on Sep 1, 2010 at 11:37:55 am

Hi All,

I'm wondering if someone could help me out with a project I'm working on. I'm not sure what you call it, but I'm trying to make an image appear on screen, like it is being drawn, so the line starts as a dot and traces out the image of an object. I know that's not a very clear way of expressing the effect I'm looking for, but hopefully you know the lines along which I'm going.

Thanks in advance,

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Drawing Effect
by on Sep 1, 2010 at 1:08:57 pm

Probably the easiest way to accomplish this effect is with the Stroke effect found in the Generate group.

You would start by using the pen tool to create masks around what you want to draw. When you are finished add the stroke effect and animate the end property. Change the paint style to "on transparent"

You might also add a "roughen edges" effect to give the lines a more organic look. Another thing to play with is the "scribble" effect.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

Return to posts index

Mark AdamsRe: Drawing Effect
by on Oct 10, 2010 at 1:03:41 am

Hi John,

I'm starting with a simple line for this effect, just to learn the basis of what it's about. So, I've drawn my curved line with the pen tool and saved it as an animation preset. I've then added the stroke effect and played around with the settings. I followed your advice, and nothing happens. Bear in mind, I am an AE noob, and really only know about rotating objects and making them zoom in and out of a frame.
And pointers as to where I'm going wrong would be a great help!!

Many thanks,

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved