ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Export Filesize check...

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Doug LeeExport Filesize check...
by on Aug 29, 2010 at 1:32:51 pm

Hi guys,

Just want to check whether this filesize is normal and whether I can reduce the filesize.

I've made a 2min 16s clip and exported it under "Best settings" Quicktime and "Lossless" Output with default audio.

File Size is 1280 x 720.

Exporting it gives me a 7Gb file that is really clear but very choppy to play. [I'm guessing cos it's such a high data rate. any chance of making it work?]
Video Data rate is 457,615 kbps

Is this normal?
Is there a better setting to give me good quality with a reasonable filesize?
Is it possible to say I would like a 10,000 kbps file and scale to that ratio?

Sorry if it's a lot of dumb questions but don't really know where to look. Have honestly done a search but can't find stuff.
Thank you so much in advance! =)

Return to posts index

Andy GeorgeRe: Export Filesize check...
by on Aug 29, 2010 at 11:02:19 pm

I've made a 2min 16s clip and exported it under "Best settings" Quicktime and "Lossless" Output with default audio.

The "lossless" codec is the Animation codec. It creates very large files, 7gigs sounds about right.

The playback is choppy, Im guessing, because you are trying to play it off of a single hard drive. You would need multiple hard drives in a raid array to get the kind of throughput that you need to play an animation encoded file. The file is probabbly fine in other words, your computer just is not fast enough to play it.

Is there a better setting to give me good quality with a reasonable filesize?
There are a variety of lossless codecs, some are smaller but not by a bunch.
Rather than choosing a codec based on it's file size, you should select one that is going to
work best for your particular composition.

The Animation codec works well for...Animations. Think clean lines and little gradiant.
If your working with footage that was shot and imported you might have better luck with a PNG or Tiff sequence. Proress 422 is another if your running FCP.

Is it possible to say I would like a 10,000 kbps file and scale to that ratio?
Not using a lossless codec.

The normal workflow is to export lossless from AE and then compress in a compression application like apple compressor or media encoder if you need to create a smaller file at that point. After Effects is not a compressions program and lacks a lot of the features that compression applications use to make great looking tiny video's.

But what do you want to do with the resulting smaller file? It would no longer be usefull for editing and any further compression applied to it would only result in compounding the previos compression artifacts that might not be visible in the first pass.

-Andy George
Senior Editor
http://www.chiselindustries.com

Return to posts index

Doug LeeRe: Export Filesize check...
by on Aug 29, 2010 at 11:23:15 pm

Thanks so much Andy!

I guess I'm an AE baby.

Here's where I'm up to.
I've finished my composition in AE.
It's a photo slideshow for a friends 21st.

But I don't know how to create the video file that I can chuck onto an external HDD/USB to play it.

So you reckon the "Animation" Setting is best for this?

Many thanks again

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Export Filesize check...
by on Aug 30, 2010 at 12:25:38 pm

[Doug Lee] "It's a photo slideshow for a friends 21st."

render to quicktime lossless animation, then compress to a suitable codec/bandwidth using a compression app.

you could use adobe's media encoder which was probably installed with ae (version cs4+), but i still use mpeg streamclip a lot. if you try mpeg stream clip, try exporting to mpeg4 using h.264, multipass and b frames. you should get a good quality file out of that, that should play off just about anything -- it's also good for vimeo, you tube and client approval.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Doug LeeRe: Export Filesize check...
by on Aug 31, 2010 at 12:59:05 am

Many thanks Kevin!
I shall try that for my project.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]