ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

'Repeating' edge effect & query on design element

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Jones'Repeating' edge effect & query on design element
by on Nov 27, 2010 at 11:58:54 am

Bit of a double header this one but two birds with one stone as they say. Firstly for the repeating edge, I'm sure once you see the attached image you'll instantly know what I'm after, it's been done to death but I just wouldn't know what to call it other than a repeating edge so searching for other posts has been a tad difficult. The idea is an image with a solid colour border animates onto the screen and leaves a 'repeating' edge trail behind it of the same solid colour. The image is from a VC tut and it's just as a reference of what I'm trying to describe, in the tut it's not the intended effect and he goes onto change it to it's desired appearance. Essentially it's particular repeating the same image X amount of times creating a solid line with the outline of the image, obviously to use particular in this way to get the effect I want would be serious overkill so was wondering if there is a simpler way. (Another image it evokes is that of when you complete a game of solitaire on PC and they start jumping of the screen leaving a 'repeating' edge trail, just for a bit more description)

Secondly, it seems super simple but drawing a blank at the moment, wondering whether the design elements in this second screenshot would be images created in an external program and animated/masked in AE or if they are easily achievable in AE itself. Yea element one is probably easy enough, just with a white solid but it's more about the second element, it animates onto the screen by growing from top to bottom say, is that just an external image revealed via masks in AE or again, like element one doable in AE?

As always, any help is greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: 'Repeating' edge effect & query on design element
by on Dec 3, 2010 at 4:26:03 am

1. Check out the echo effect.
2. Yeah, just solids with masks animated.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved