ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

FPS problem

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tatjana PlittFPS problem
by on Aug 23, 2010 at 6:21:21 pm

I've shot some footage on my 5D MarkII, 30fps. Once I've imported it and put it in the timeline, it plays the visuals very slowly. In the info palette, a red alert comes up "fps: 06.1/30.0 (NOT realtime)"
In the Preview palette it acknowledges the 30fps too. Is there a setting or preference in AE that may be causing this?

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: FPS problem
by on Aug 23, 2010 at 7:55:51 pm

ae is not a realtime app, so if you are hitting space bar to playback a preview (as you would in most nle's) then you may not get realtime playback.

try hitting zero on the numbers pad to generate a ram preview, which will cache frames to ram for realtime playback. the limitation of ram playback duration will be how much ram you have available... an hd frame can be around 6mb, at 30fps that adds up pretty quickly, so you may only be able to preview 3-7 seconds of a comp unless you down-sample. setting the preview resolution to 50% will allow 4x longer previews; 25% = 8x longer previews, etc...

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: FPS problem
by on Aug 23, 2010 at 10:40:18 pm

[Tatjana Plitt] "I've shot some footage on my 5D MarkII, 30fps..."

Do you ACTUALLY mean 30 fps, or 29.97 fps? If your work is destined for either videotape or DVD -- or even if there is any remote possibility it will go to either videotape or DVD -- I hope for your sake you actually mean 29.97. Otherwise, many fundamental problems ensue.

[Tatjana Plitt] " plays the visuals very slowly. In the info palette, a red alert comes up "fps: 06.1/30.0..."

AE is in no way, shape or form intended to be used for playback. You must do a RAM preview by hitting zero on the numeric keypad.

If you are new to After Effects, you should understand that although it's a powerful and (eventually) fun application, it requires a thorough knowledge of the basics. You ignore them at your peril. Likewise, you would be doing yourself more harm than good by merely wanting to learn a few quick 'n easy techniques.

I heartily recommend you start here:

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved