ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Masking Problem...ermmmm

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Hunter Hempen
Masking Problem...ermmmm
on Aug 23, 2010 at 2:31:52 am

Soooooo, I've been using After Effects CS4 for a few months now, and everything about the masking tool is great. Recently, however, I can't get the next point in the mask to be a straight line after creating a curve. I'll click a beginning point, go across the picture, click again and drag the bender to create the curve, and theoretically after doing this I should be able to click once elsewhere resulting with a straight line to that point.

I find this a bit embarrassing, since I recently did some cool masking effects for a friend's music video, but I am clueless as to how this "masking fluke" is happening.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
Re: Masking Problem...ermmmm
on Aug 23, 2010 at 4:12:06 am

It sounds to me like you have RotoBezier selected.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Hunter Hempen
on Aug 23, 2010 at 4:17:32 am

Yeah, thought about that, checked, I don't. :\

Return to posts index

Hunter Hempen
on Aug 23, 2010 at 4:21:16 am

I'll post a video example, though now I've noticed that after curving two points, I have to curve another set of points before being able to go completely straight with the third point...which I guess is okay, but I'd really like it go straight from the get-go.

Return to posts index

Hunter Hempen
on Aug 23, 2010 at 4:49:35 am

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Aug 23, 2010 at 4:57:29 am

Oh, I see.

That's normal. When you drag the direction handles out of a point, you make it a Bezier point; the segment going into that point is curved, and the segment coming out of that point is curved. The direction handles that determine the curvature are symmetric.

If you want to "break" the handles so that they're not symmetric, then just drag one of the handles.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]