ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Frame Rate Correct In AE Project?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Vincent StraderFrame Rate Correct In AE Project?
by on Aug 19, 2010 at 4:18:44 pm

When I import footage that's 720p30 I can set the comp to those same settings inside ae. But when I drag the clip down to the time line, and view the video on the canvas, I know there is a lot more video that's not being seen. The video is still too big for the canvas. When I conform the video to be the right size, there's a really big black spot to the side of the canvas of unused space, more than a safe zone.
So lets say I become proficient with ae, and I move the video around the canvas to add effects to the unseen portion of the video.. then render it out.. will it be a completely different result once dragged back into FC?

Thanks for any eduMaKaytion on this matter,

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Frame Rate Correct In AE Project?
by on Aug 19, 2010 at 6:19:03 pm

Here's a little education: the basic working environment in AE is the Composition, or comp. It's not the canvas. With this application, it REALLY helps to keep the lingo straight.

I think your problems will go away if you simply drag the footage onto the Make Comp icon located at the bottom of the project window. If it's standard footage -- that is, not something like 1500x3500 quicktimes from some exotic medical imaging system -- AE will know what to do.

It also sounds like you're trying to learn AE intuitively just by playing around with it. Not good. You'll miss a lot if you try to learn that way. What to do?

Adobe's own Todd Kopriva has accumulated all sorts of freebie AE training stuff, which you'll find here:

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved