ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

How to recreate this "Story Book" Effect

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt SepetaHow to recreate this "Story Book" Effect
by on Aug 16, 2010 at 6:46:41 pm

Hey guys, its been a while since I posted with AE help, but my work as asked me to create a new video that will be done largely in AECS4.

I am to "recreate" this style of video:

I am wondering if there are any good tutorials that can help me achieve some of the effects, including the

-transition at :17
-The 3D-look of the bed at :27 (I am very good at doing the 2.5D animations in AE, but I was wondering how they made the bed actually appear 3d, did they build it from scratch in AE, or does this involve a 3d program?)
-The spin effect at 1:48 (If I recall I had once found a tutorial that explained how to swing the camera to set objectives in 3d space, does anyone know what I'm talking about?)

I apologize for the vagueness of my question, but any help would be GREAT!

Return to posts index

Morris BarrierRe: How to recreate this "Story Book" Effect
by on Aug 26, 2010 at 9:51:11 pm

There are many tutorials out there for turning a page and AE includes CC page turn. Find the tutorial with the look you like best and go with that. As for the specific elements:

:17 - I assume by transition you mean the way the camera spins around to a new scene. I think a simple X axis point of interest pivot will suffice but this piece has some complex camera moves. Everybody has their tools of choice for animating but for absolute precision I go with Andrew Kramer's Sure Target 2.0. Its free and he has a tutorial that breaks it down. Plus the preset comes with wiggle and depth of field, all the elements you need for realistic but precise movement.
:27 - As for the 3d bed, if you're like me and not a 3d user there are ways to get around this but I'm thinking a few elements in this piece were 3d. Eran Stern has some tutorials on how to create basic 3d elements on his site. Learn from him and you can probably create your own simple bed in Photoshop and AE.
1:48 - spin effect - that is just a simple text animation. Text is vector based in AE so create 1 text layer and make it large and flip in 90 degrees. Then create another much smaller text layer and nest it close and in the same Z space as the other text. Move your camera to one text layer, turn off Depth of field, and key frame out or in to the other layer. Again, Sure Target would make something like this a piece of cake.

Hope that gets you on the right path!

Morris Barrier

Mac Pro 2.8Ghz Dual Quad Core

Return to posts index

Melissa YanRe: How to recreate this "Story Book" Effect
by on Jun 22, 2011 at 8:18:15 am

Hi, I was wondering if you ever found good tutorials for this video, particularly the beginning/introduction part. from 0:00 to about 0:17. Please let me know asap.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved