ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Do you guys work in square pixels or not?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joel Arvidsson
Do you guys work in square pixels or not?
on Aug 11, 2010 at 3:07:35 pm

Hi I have not used the dynamic link before since I usally edit in fcp. But this time I lasso the timeline in adobe premiere and choose open as an AE composition. But in Ae everything looks squeezed.

My question is what is the best workflow in ae?
Normally I export from final cut pro. Then open Ae and import the footage, and then I drag and drop the dvc pro hd clip to "make a new composition button". This makes a new composition with the setting of the clip.

Then ae thinks its a hdv 1080 25 preset. Its correct that the original clip is 1440x1080 res on the clip but ae displays it squeezed. So I always change the with to 1920 and then pixel aspect to square (i love square working in square). Is this a correct workflow? or do you guys work squeezed?

The most important should be to always interpret your footage true. But I why does ae by defualt want to show the footage squezed??

joelarvidsson@gmail.com

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Do you guys work in square pixels or not?
on Aug 11, 2010 at 3:23:57 pm

If you want your AE work to maintain the same resolution as the rest of your video, don't change the comp settings to 1920x1080. Instead, use the pixel aspect ratio compensation switch at the bottom of the comp window to see it in 16x9. Don't worry about the aliased look of text and graphics when you use this switch. Everything looks fine when you render.

If you change the footage's resolution, you may have to re-render it in FCP.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Joel Arvidsson
on Aug 11, 2010 at 3:33:00 pm

Youre kidding me. I missed that switch button! Yea it should be a more correct thing to do. I know the problem is that dvcpro hd always is in non square pixels but you don't want to work in that. This solves a big mystery. We should get a function in here to mark threads as problem solved!

Thanks Dave!

joelarvidsson@gmail.com

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Aug 11, 2010 at 3:40:33 pm

[Joel Arvidsson] "We should get a function in here to mark threads as problem solved!"

It's already here: look for the little light bulb and check mark icons at the bottom of posts. That's what they do.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Joel Arvidsson
on Aug 11, 2010 at 3:41:32 pm

Wow thats neat!

joelarvidsson@gmail.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]