ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Making Path in a shape of an Ellipise or a Rectangle

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alex Volkov
Making Path in a shape of an Ellipise or a Rectangle
on Aug 9, 2010 at 11:51:01 am

Hi

Sorry for asking this rather simple question, but I didn't find any answer to my problem after hours of searching. Thought I found some info on how to Auto-trace shapes and convert mask paths into shape paths, and vice versa.

My problem is this:

I have an object, and I want it animated by following a path of a perfect circle or a square (or any other object like a Star or a Polygon). It can either keep looping around the particular shape/path or it can follow only a portion of a shape/path. For instance, if I want my object to follow a 25% of a perfect circle.

What I tried so far:

I've made a shape of a circle, and then Auto-traced it from Layer menu. Then I tried copying it and pasting it onto the Path property of another object, but that didn't work.

I know how to draw a custom path with a Pen tool, but I would like my object to follow a path of a perfect circle, square, star or whatever. Or only a portion of it.

How is this done exactly?

Return to posts index

Richard Harrington
Re: Making Path in a shape of an Ellipise or a Rectangle
on Aug 9, 2010 at 1:05:38 pm

Copy path... Paste into Position property for layer

Richard M. Harrington, PMP

Author: Video Made on a Mac, Photoshop for Video, Understanding Adobe Photoshop, Final Cut Studio On the Spot and ATS:iWork

Return to posts index

Alex Volkov
on Aug 9, 2010 at 7:37:45 pm

Took me some time to figure out what you meant, but I ended up making it work, by creating a shape (which became mask) with my comp selected, marking Mask Path, copy, marking Comp > Position, paste. And deleting the mask ofc.

Thanks anyway :)

Return to posts index

Richard Harrington
on Aug 10, 2010 at 4:57:49 am

Yes... I'm often short with answers... often once you know what something is called you can do a search here on Cow with additional terms and find a detailed answer.

This topic comes up every few weeks... so I didn't go into detail. Glad you got it working

Richard M. Harrington, PMP

Author: Video Made on a Mac, Photoshop for Video, Understanding Adobe Photoshop, Final Cut Studio On the Spot and ATS:iWork

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]