ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

After Effects Workflow -- Key in low Res, render in high?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dylan WinterAfter Effects Workflow -- Key in low Res, render in high?
by on Aug 5, 2010 at 3:38:22 pm

Hey guys,

I'm working with some footage off of a RED camera (nerdgasm), but it's really bringing my computer to its knees. The footage is on a greenscreen, and I need to be able to flip through it quickly to make sure that my keys and roto work are plenty seamless enough-- but at RED resolutions this is taking a lifetime.

My question is this: Is there a way that I could work with medium-resolution footage in after effects, and then render out to 4k?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: After Effects Workflow -- Key in low Res, render in high?
by on Aug 5, 2010 at 4:22:23 pm

As I'm sure you're aware, color keying is ALL about the edges of an image. You propose to work with footage whose edges are compromised. Do you see anything wrong with this picture?

There are some instances where working with proxies is a real time-saver, but keying isn't one of them.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: After Effects Workflow -- Key in low Res, render in high?
by on Aug 5, 2010 at 4:44:58 pm

To add to what Dave is saying:

If you're doing color keying work, you need to take every opportunity to ensure that you're working with the highest possible quality of footage. Compression, downsampling---these things are the bane of good color keying.

If you want snappier performance, use any of the many, many ways of improving performance. For example, set a region of interest so that you're only previewing the part of the frame that you're actually working on.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: After Effects Workflow -- Key in low Res, render in high?
by on Aug 6, 2010 at 4:33:13 pm

I addition to the useful advice of the gurus before me, I might also mention that some codecs work a lot smoother and faster in AE than others. If you have time, you might test transcoding a clip into another thing like Quicktime with PNG codec.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]