ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Strange things...

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Leo LagerwallStrange things...
by on Jul 29, 2010 at 6:40:09 pm

I have been able to isolate the problem with the random AE crashes,
it seems to be because of the new disk I bought.

My first setup was based on one HDD, I bought another one , and
when I move the film-material and the cache locations from AE to the second disk strange things start to happen...

My first setup was based on one disk (Seageate Barracuda 7200.12 SATA 1TB) splitted in two partitions, one C: with windows and AE installed, the second partition had all the files etc..

Now , with the new setup I have AE installed on the C: pratition
and the cache set to the second disk ( the new disk I bought) I also have my all my editing material on the new one.

-But the computer doesnt seem to like that, sometimes Ae just crashes, and sometimes the whole computer gets real slow...

I changed the cache and moved the files back to my first disk , and
the problems disappeared...
I ran the new disk in seagate tools and for other stuff...???
seagate tools reports none errors...?? The disk seems to work well

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Strange things...
by on Jul 31, 2010 at 12:46:12 am

leave your ram cache and any other cache locations (like media cache) on the main drive. keep all your media and renders on the other drive.

i was unclear about your configuration, but if your second/media drive is not on a separate bus, you will probably get better performance with disk cache off.

a separate data bus would be one that the main drive is not connected to... so, your main drive is probably connected internally to the sata bus on the motherboard, so you'd want your media drive to be connected to firewire or a pci sata or sas card, or something like that rather than the same internal bus as the main drive.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved