ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

What Keying Tool For Which Situation?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Max JacksonWhat Keying Tool For Which Situation?
by on Jul 28, 2010 at 12:45:38 am

Hi CC,

I've been learning the following keying tools:

Color Key
Color Difference Key
Linear Color Key
and Keylight

So far I'm having the most luck with Keylight and Color Difference Key, but didn't know if that was my selection of use or simply adaption to technique?

Is there a certain Keying tool you would use for one application rather than another or do they all do relatively the same thing?

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: What Keying Tool For Which Situation?
by on Jul 28, 2010 at 1:20:09 pm

They all work somewhat differently and you will find some shots work better with one than another. Usually a good key is pulled with a combination of techiques including multiple keying effects, garbage mattes, rotoscoping, spill suppression and light wrapping.
Lots of useful info and tutorials here and here.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Max JacksonRe: What Keying Tool For Which Situation?
by on Jul 28, 2010 at 8:28:38 pm

Awesome, thanks Michael.

These tips are PRICELESS in helping you understand and decide what would be the right door to choose to get results before just guessing and then choking, suppressing, etc. It's like a Rubix® cube. You could easily play with aliasing for hours if you can't identify your tools.

The additional links are great, I've actually seen a few of them already. I just read The After Effects Illusionist, am onto After Effects Expressions, and then will probably go back to practicing Mocha over and over again until I can't sleep with going over some endless track.

These tips will DEFINITELY help the workflow process.

Thanks a bunch!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved