ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

how to create feather around text in CS4

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Samya Chattopadhyay
how to create feather around text in CS4
on Apr 11, 2012 at 7:10:47 pm

Hello there...

I have a problem...may sound silly though.
I want to create simple feathers say black around the text. Actually I need to write something on a video layer which naturally has different tones in different parts.

So I need to create the feather to make the text...say white or creame yellow...legible.

Anyone...please help...

Thanks
Sam

Return to posts index

Ryan Hill
Re: how to create feather around text in CS4
on Apr 11, 2012 at 8:36:08 pm

I might duplicate the text layer, change one to yellow and add a blur filter.

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Apr 11, 2012 at 8:41:50 pm

Assuming you have the video in AE, you would create your text on one layer. Add a solid(cntl+y) and place that behind the text and use the mask tool to make it the size you need. Press MM and you can access the feather properties of the mask.

What you are trying to do is pretty basic, which leads me to believe you are just getting starting out with After Effects. You might want to check out this page(Todd Kopriva of After Effects compiled which has links to a lot resources and tutorials that will help when first learning this program.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Samya Chattopadhyay
on Apr 12, 2012 at 4:47:46 am

A big hello and thanks...

Yes you are right...I am a newbie to AECS4. I tried a bit different.
Instead of creating the mask, I duplicated the text layer, then created a shape from that text and then applied Fast blur.

Last, I took the text layer over the shape layer.
I would render it without the solid underneath and will take alpha. Hope that will work.

Here is a snap what I came up with.

Again thanks for both of your replies.
Sam

Return to posts index

John Cuevas
on Apr 12, 2012 at 11:44:06 am

Glad you were able to work it out. You discovered one of the best things about AE, there are multiple solutions to almost any problem.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]