ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

After Effects rendering trouble in preview?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Foy Watson
After Effects rendering trouble in preview?
on Jul 17, 2010 at 5:45:56 pm

Hey guys,

I'm layering in several stock footage effects over my footage in after effects. When I add 8 layers, several of the other layers begin to behave rather bizarrely. Masks appear, footage gets choppy, etc. When I go back to seven layers, it plays fine.

The interesting thing is that even when I render the final clip out to a .mov, the bizarre behavior is in the final clip, too. So it's not just my preview.

I'm running 4GB of RAM on my Intel Core Duo iMac. I know it's not the most powerful machine, but AE shouldn't get too screwy, should it?

Any tips?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Andy George
Re: After Effects rendering trouble in preview?
on Jul 17, 2010 at 6:29:45 pm

Do you have open GL enabled? If so turn it off, it works poorly in after effects.

What types of footage are you working with? After effects struggles with certain compression scheme. See's Dave's explenation below-

Dave's Stock Answer #1:

If the footage you imported into AE is any kind of the following -- footage in an HDV acquisition codec, MPEG1, MPEG2, AVCHD, mp4, mts, m2t, H.261 or H.264 -- you need to convert it to a different codec.

These kinds of footage use temporal, or interframe compression. They have keyframes at regular intervals, containing complete frame information. However, the frames in between do NOT have complete information. Interframe codecs toss out duplicated information.

In order to maintain peak rendering efficiency, AE needs complete information for each and every frame. But because these kinds of footage contain only partial information, AE freaks out, resulting in a wide variety of problems.

I'm a Mac guy, so I like to convert to Quicktime movies in the Animation or PNG codecs; both are lossless. I'll use Apple's Compressor, Adobe Media Encoder or Quicktime Pro to do it.

-Andy George
Senior Editor
http://www.chiselindustries.com

Return to posts index

Foy Watson
on Jul 17, 2010 at 7:20:29 pm

All of the imported footage has a PNG codec, but my original footage is not. I'll go back and compress to get it all matching and post an update.

Also, how can I disable to OpenGL?

Return to posts index

Andy George
on Jul 17, 2010 at 7:58:29 pm

The open GL settings are under Preferences>Previews or you can access them using the Fast Preview button under your composition window. The one with the lightening bolt on it.

-Andy George
Senior Editor

Return to posts index

Foy Watson
on Jul 19, 2010 at 1:10:28 am

Okay guys, I have rendered the files so they are all Animation or PNG AND I made sure my open GL is off, but still, after adding a handful of layers my playback is going crazy. Any other solutions?

Grey

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jul 19, 2010 at 2:35:16 pm

If you have multiprocessing turned on, turn it off. You don't have anywhere near enough memory to use it.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Foy Watson
on Jul 19, 2010 at 7:38:03 pm

I've double checked everything...

Multiprocessing is off.
OpenGL is off.
All of the file's have the same frame playback speed.
They are in PNG and Animation codecs.

The problem still exists.

Any other thoughts?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jul 19, 2010 at 7:41:09 pm

Check for 2D layers in between 3D layers in the timeline. They throw off the whole rendering order, and easily can cause weirdness.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Foy Watson
on Jul 19, 2010 at 7:59:54 pm

No 3D layers are in the file...

...crazy, huh?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jul 19, 2010 at 8:18:01 pm

Okay, here's my last shot:

When AE goes irretrievably weird on me, I shut down the computer, wait several seconds, and power it up again. If that doesn't help, it's time to call in the techs and give back my AE Merit Badge.

Have you done that simple thing lately?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Andy George
on Jul 19, 2010 at 10:00:23 pm

What version of After Effects and operating system are you running?
What sort of effects are you applying? Any plugin's?

It could not hurt to try deleting your preferences (other than you lose your preferences of course)

They should be here useres/[username]/library/preferences/adobe/after effects. You can back them up to a different location and then delete the original. AE will rebuild them to the default when your relaunch.

-Andy George
Senior Editor

Return to posts index

Liam Phillips
on May 5, 2016 at 4:06:59 pm

Hello Foy Watson,

You can disable OpenGL in CS5-down. However, this is not possible with CS6-onward. But there are ways to disable Advanced OpenGL, which might help you with any issues you are experiencing with if you are using never versions of After Effects.

I suggest reading this thread on the Adobe Forum's. I posted a reply that you might want to check out on here:

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1030251

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]