ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Time-lapse stills: composition and cropping

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Thomas BergTime-lapse stills: composition and cropping
by on Jul 17, 2010 at 12:46:15 pm

I'm currently working on a time-lapse i recently made. I would like the finished product to be 16:9 aspect ratio, and in addition to that, I need to crop out the dashboard at the very bottom of the pictures (time-lapse from the inside of my car using a very wide angle lense). I have tried setting the composition settings to HDTV 1080 25. However, when I do this, the stills are cropped, but I cannot (or do not know) how to control the manner in which they are cropped (how do I set a form of anchor point to center the cropping somehow). Sure, it crops out the dashboard, but it also crops out other essential parts that I don't want cropped out.

I have tried using "Crop comp to area of interest", manually cropping out the dashboard. However, when choosing HDTV 1080 25 in the composition settings, the stills are again cropped in the same manner as mentioned above. Now, when using the arrows in the advanced section of the composition settings, I'm able to roughly get what I want, but I'm in no way able to fully control the crop and aspect ratio like I want.

I'm having some difficulties locating tutorials about this. Perhaps someone could be so kind as to kick me in the right direction? Due to the fact that I'm a beginner in After Effects, I hope you understand what I'm trying to do.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Return to posts index

Andy GeorgeRe: Time-lapse stills: composition and cropping
by on Jul 17, 2010 at 7:19:56 pm

Rather than adjusting your composition to fit your timelapse, Set your composition to the size you want and then scale and position your photo's to fit within that frame.

Here are some basics tutorials that should get you up to speed enough to move forward-

-Andy George
Senior Editor

Return to posts index

Thomas BergRe: Time-lapse stills: composition and cropping
by on Jul 17, 2010 at 11:35:52 pm

Thank you very much Andy! Will dive into the basics (heaven knows I need it). Thanks for the pointing out that I can set my composition and then scale/position the footage to fit. I thought AE cropped out parts of my footage when setting the composition size smaller than the actual stills, so it didn't even occur to me that I could just scale it accordingly.

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Time-lapse stills: composition and cropping
by on Jul 19, 2010 at 2:18:04 pm

Here are some more great basics resources.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved