ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Scaling A Mask

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Max JacksonScaling A Mask
by on Jul 15, 2010 at 11:01:51 pm

Hi CC,

I've been searching around for a basic tutorial on how to shape a mask. They all tell me to hit Shift and then drag the double arrow??

I don't see it. I keep dragging the layer. I go into the shape and it's the same thing. It reflects what's on the stage.

I have a star mask that I need to shrink on a blue rectangle.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

Andy GeorgeRe: Scaling A Mask
by on Jul 16, 2010 at 12:18:07 am

Not really sure what the double arrow is myself..but If you select the mask in your composition panel you should get a box around it in your preview. Shift+Click on any of the 4 corners to scale proportionally. Click only to scale freely.

-Andy George
Senior Editor

Return to posts index

David JohnsonRe: Scaling A Mask
by on Jul 16, 2010 at 10:59:29 am

I've never heard of a mask's "double arrow" either, but you can also use the mask's "expansion" property with a negative value to scale it down, although the way Andy said is the proper way.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Scaling A Mask
by on Jul 16, 2010 at 3:02:09 pm

[Max Jackson] "They all tell me to hit Shift and then drag the double arrow?? "

You've gotten some bad information, my friend.

Yes, it is indeed possible to scale a mask. You do it by invoking the Free Transform tool. Here's the explanation in AE Help:

....and here's a handy how-to video:

Don't worry if you don't have AE 10. This tool hasn't changed in years.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Max JacksonRe: Scaling A Mask
by on Jul 20, 2010 at 11:05:02 pm

Hi Dave,

Sorry to everybody for such a delayed response. I do appreciate it. Just got really busy.

I did finally manage to realize that you have to click on the vertices to get the free transform tool to appear.

I earlier went to Adobe before CC. Adobe's instructions are difficult to translate half the time. I also don't read very well. I really try, but this didn't work for me:

"To transform an entire mask or shape path, select it (it?) in the Timeline panel and choose Layer > Mask And Shape Path > Free Transform Points."

Well, I tried the menu and layer and the Free Transform Tool was shaded out.

Some things are just easier to learn in AE by video I guess. I still can't get the double-arrows to come up. I did once then lost it. Thank goodness somebody on Adobe TV did a demo. I'll have to check it out.

Thanks so much Dave and and everybody else for chiming to help me out. It is appreciated.

Creative Cow Rocks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved