ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Composition from Still Frames

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bolo Yeung
Composition from Still Frames
on Jul 14, 2010 at 9:17:47 am

Hi All,

Another basic question, but I have been having trouble with setting the composition length for a still image composition (single frame, composition length set at 10 seconds upon creation of layer). For some reason After Effects ignores the composition length and creates a composition with an overall length of 2 frames. Anyone know how I can remedy this? I would not like to use timewarp or any other time altering device, it's a simple question of setting composition lengths. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Composition from Still Frames
on Jul 14, 2010 at 2:33:28 pm

If there's no specific length assigned to a new composition, AE defaults to using the length of the last composition. No need to worry, just set the desired length in the comp settings.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Garth Spruiell
on Jul 14, 2010 at 5:45:01 pm

If you are starting a project with no comps and dragging your source element into the first layer of a new composition, AE makes the new composition the length of the element. If your element is maybe a 2 frame PSD that you mistake for a 1 frame element, this might cause your problem. I only say this because this happened to me once and drove me crazy until I realized what was happening.

Return to posts index

Chris Tarroza
on Jul 14, 2010 at 7:15:56 pm

When in your composition that you want to lengthen, at the top menu click Composition>Composition Settings, or hit Command+K (Mac) or Control+K (PC) for the shortcut! Change the duration as need be!

On that note, shortcuts are great! Command+K is one I use almost every time I'm in After Effects.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jul 14, 2010 at 9:35:51 pm

[Bolo Yeung] "For some reason After Effects ignores the composition length and creates a composition with an overall length of 2 frames."

It pays to read a little more closely. This could be caused to the Work Area being set to 2 frames in duration. Here's some info on the work area:
http://help.adobe.com/en_US/aftereffects/cs/using/WS3878526689cb91655866c11...

If you don't have AE 10, don't sweat it. The way the work area functions hasn't changed for years.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]