ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Manually install codecs?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sagar sanganiManually install codecs?
by on Jul 13, 2010 at 10:41:26 pm

So I installed the trial version of AE CS5 and apparently MPEG rendering is not offered in trial version. So I was wondering if there a way to install these codecs manually since I have a project that needs to be rushed?

MPEG rendering does work, however, it takes extremely long to render and I found the trial version was a problem. Do you think simply downloading an MPEG codec and installing it on the system would work?

Thanks,
Sagar.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Manually install codecs?
by on Jul 13, 2010 at 11:05:49 pm

It's no great tragedy for you that you can't get MGEG in AE. Here's why:

Dave's Stock Answer #3:

Don't use AE to compress files for final delivery. The various compressors are there only to make quick 'n dirty files showing a project's progress to producers, clients, the kids, etc. AE is incapable of doing multipass encoding, a crucial feature that greatly improves the image quality of H.264 and MPEG-type files in particular.

Render a high-quality file from AE, and use a different application to do the compression. Popular ones are Adobe Media Encoder, Sorenson Squeeze and Apple's Compressor, which comes bundled with Final Cut Suite. Even compressing in Quicktime Pro is better than compressing in AE.

Making good-looking compressed files is almost as much an art as it is a science. It is NOT straightforward at all. I recommend asking a few questions at the COW's Compression Techniques forum.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Sagar sanganiRe: Manually install codecs?
by on Jul 14, 2010 at 2:03:20 am

Thanks, Dave.

Maybe I should have been a little clear about my project. You see, I am trying to render an animated motion menu which is in AE. All the other videos that I edit in Premiere Pro are exported with Media Encoder.

The reason why I select MPEG is because all the HDV files are in mpeg format and I think it would be better to be consistent throughout the project. I've exported in AVI better using Media Encoder and it has been very quick on CS5 64bit Win7.

I am have previously tried to render in MOV and it has taken a significant amount of time.

Return to posts index

by on Jul 14, 2010 at 9:40:27 pm

[Sagar sangani] "The reason why I select MPEG is because all the HDV files are in mpeg format and I think it would be better to be consistent throughout the project."

There are two reasons why that's a bad idea:
1) MPEG is a lossy codec. If you render in MPEG, you lose image quality.
2) After Effects doesn't make good-looking MPEG files. It's not designed to make good-looking ones. Other applications make much better looking MPEG files.

When you combine those two reasons, you really don't want to render in MPEG.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Sagar sanganiRe: Manually install codecs?
by on Jul 14, 2010 at 9:44:08 pm

Wow, really? Thanks for the info.

I'll stick to QuickTime format.

Return to posts index

by on Jul 15, 2010 at 4:08:11 pm

[Sagar sangani] "I'll stick to QuickTime format."

You must be a Windows person. Like AVI, Quicktime is a media container. Within that container, video can be encoded with many different codecs.

It's customary in After Effects to use a high-quality, lossless Quicktime codec like Animation or PNG to render your AE work, then use a different application to compress to mpeg.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]