ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Animating text from the center out

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Art MeierAnimating text from the center out
by on Jul 10, 2010 at 12:20:52 am

I am trying to animate my text from the center out.

Right now I getting sketchy results using 2 animators. One using ramp up and the other using ramp down. Is there a better way?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Animating text from the center out
by on Jul 10, 2010 at 7:21:03 pm

Do any of the Text Animation Presets come close to what you want? You can modify them to taste, if you want.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Art MeierRe: Animating text from the center out
by on Jul 11, 2010 at 5:33:45 am

They all seem to animate from left to right or right to left. I have scoured them for variation with no luck. I even downloaded the CS3 bonus pack of text animation presets. http://www.adobe.com/go/learn_ae_cs3additionalanimationpresets

I have put about 5 hours into it. There has to be an elegant way of animating from center out.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Animating text from the center out
by on Jul 12, 2010 at 9:16:44 pm

[Art Meier] "They all seem to animate from left to right or right to left."

So get resourceful, then! Split your line of text into right and left halves. Use the appropriate animation preset for each one. The result: text that types on (or whatever) from the center outward.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Art MeierRe: Animating text from the center out
by on Jul 12, 2010 at 9:24:46 pm

Thanks. I was going to post my example using that technique. I was hoping there was a way of doing it without splitting my text.

I found another way of doing it by creating two animators and animating the Start, End, Offset, Ease In and Ease out functions but had little success. (It also got pretty confusing)

Maybe I can make a strong enough argument to get a "animate from center out" function added to CS5.5

Thanks, Art.

Return to posts index

David ByrneRe: Animating text from the center out
by on Aug 22, 2012 at 4:16:23 pm

Hello from the future!

Probably no use to you now mate, but to anyone searching for this technique who stumbles across this thread!

I figured out a way to make a preset for this, after a bit of fiddling around. Of course Dave's route is the simplest but I wanted a way to be able to apply a simple animation to many many layers of text and not have to split them all up. So here is my solution:

You need to add two Property>Opacity Animators to the Text layer.

Animator 1:
Range Selector 1:
Start: 100%
End: Keyframe from 50% to 100%
Offset:0%
Opacity: 0%

Animator 2:
Range Selector 1:
Start: Keyframe from 50% to 0%
End: 0%
Offset: 0%
Opacity: 0%

You can now adapt the speed by simply adjusting the keyframes but remember to keep the distance between the two animators keyframed parameters consistent if you want a uniform transition from the centre of the text.

Also of course you can change to be by character, word, line etc by adapting the Advanced tab of the Ranger Selector.

Finally if you're likely to be using this again, why not make a preset based on it? Add it to your preset palette and it can save a lot of back and forth copying of effects.

Please let me know any issues and I will try to help.

Cheers!

Animö

Return to posts index

Wes TownsendRe: Animating text from the center out
by on Apr 14, 2014 at 8:36:32 pm

Greetings from the future's future!

To emulate the "Showtime type-on look" (new letters popping up in the center of the line, then tracking out), use the AE default "typewriter effect", then just animate your anchor point. Works with slanted text too (using the Distort > Transform effect).

-Wes

Wesley Townsend
Creative Director
Garbanzo Grafix
http://www.garbanzo.tv

Return to posts index

Yashvir BagwandeenRe: Animating text from the center out
by on May 25, 2016 at 9:33:16 pm

Greetings from the FUTURE's FUTURE future!

I have found a bit of a hack since I didn't just need the opacity revealed from the center. I needed the words to be typed from the center.

I started with the Word Processor effect preset.
At the start where no text is typed, I animated the text position to the center, then once it's done being typed, the text moves left, staying centered as it get's typed.
Then I used posterize time with a framerate of 4 to get it synced.

Voila!

Return to posts index

Mariusz Mario ZdanowskiRe: Animating text from the center out
by on Dec 6, 2016 at 9:00:32 pm

helo nice idea, but how i can use this with Ramp Up or smooth selection?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]