ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Grid of pictures flipping one at a time.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rob ErobsGrid of pictures flipping one at a time.
by on Jul 9, 2010 at 8:22:17 pm

I'm trying to create a grid (3x3) of pictures that flip individually with another picture on the back of the previous. Gradually the pictures flip quicker and quicker. I also want to control which picture flips and which stay. I found a good tutorial on this site which uses the card wipe to flip the pictures but I would like more control over which pictures flip and when. And I don't want to keyframe every picture because that will take to long.

I'm trying to create a "Timeline" of someone's day with pictures of events occuring throughout day. As more events happen, I want the pictures to flip quicker while having some stay up longer to signify a theme of that part of the event. Please if you having any suggestions or a better way to do this let me know.

_Rob_

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Grid of pictures flipping one at a time.
by on Jul 9, 2010 at 8:40:01 pm

You can use a gradient map to control when pictures flip in Card Wipe. Other than that I don't really have any better ideas. I mean, I can imagine setting up an expression, but somehow I think figuring out how to do that and then setting it up would take longer than controlling the Card Wipe.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Grid of pictures flipping one at a time.
by on Jul 9, 2010 at 9:02:04 pm

I was agreeing with Michael that Card Wipe was the easiest way to get the job done: Card Wipe can use a luminance map to determine the flipping order. It flips everything just fine... once!

But then, I re-read your post: "I'm trying to create a "Timeline" of someone's day with pictures of events occuring throughout day. As more events happen, I want the pictures to flip quicker while having some stay up longer to signify a theme of that part of the event."

Pulling that off is a pretty tall order. Lots of identically-sized images, lots of keyframing, and lots of work in 3D... and lots of planning. When the shot's done, it'll look great.

You'll make your life easier by setting up a 3x3 grid of 3D nulls, designed to rotate one picture on and the other off, like you'd hold the center of a playing card and flip it over to reveal the other side. You can use the 9 nulls over and over again to flip different images.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]