ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Updating illustrator file w/o reimporting

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Damon Muma
Updating illustrator file w/o reimporting
on Jul 8, 2010 at 6:14:55 am

I imported an .ai file to the composition and I have all the layers in the list there...(which is good, I want the layers separated out). I can update the individual layers by right-clicking and selecting "reload footage", but after doing some work on one of the layers I decided to break it up into a few more layers in illustrator, but now I don't know how to update those extra layers into illustrator without killing the keyframes that I've got in there. I could always import it again separately and grab the layers I need out of that, but I'm just wondering if there's a more straightforward way?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Updating illustrator file w/o reimporting
on Jul 8, 2010 at 1:08:35 pm

[Damon Muma] "after doing some work on one of the layers I decided to break it up into a few more layers in illustrator"

It's time to start over from scratch. Sorry.

You can't get AE to create those new layers in the existing Illustrator document. You have to import the Illustrator document another time, and apply the work you've already done to existing layers.

This is one reason why planning out your work really helps in the long run. Experimentation and discovery is just fine, as long as you know what's involved when you experiment and discover.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Andy George
on Jul 8, 2010 at 4:01:27 pm

Damon,

I find it helpful when creating graphics in PS or AI to add a couple of blank layers to the document before importing to AE. That way if you want to modify your image at a later date your not changing the total layer #. Not much help for you now but next time...

-Andy

Return to posts index

Damon Muma
on Jul 12, 2010 at 5:12:17 pm

Yeah that is not a bad idea at all!
Thanks for the responses guys, and not too much of a worry as I wasn't particularly far along.

Return to posts index

pauric ocallaghan
on Jul 1, 2011 at 7:25:36 pm

in the project panel
right click
import recent footage
[select your .ai]

In the dialog select 'choose layer' and you can then drag & drop that new layer over to the rest of them.

hth /pauric

Return to posts index

Thomas Santana
on Aug 24, 2015 at 11:25:43 pm

Brilliant!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]