ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Drawing in AE

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Adams
Drawing in AE
on Jul 4, 2010 at 2:04:11 pm

Hi All, I'm new to AE, total noob. I've been working on Premiere and iMovie, playing with cameras for years, and now want to expand my visual making horizons by creating simple 2D animations and seeing where that leads. At the moment I'm just looking to rotate 2 layers ontop of one another, on CW, the other CCW to get an old psychedelic illusion. Any tips on image creation in AE, or maybe better to build in Illustrator, but how to import just the image without the background? Any tips much appreciated, and anything else simple, like maybe a blinking eye or whatnot. Many thanks in advance & also for reading my waffle!!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Drawing in AE
on Jul 4, 2010 at 6:29:55 pm

Welcome to AE.

For the neophyte, it's a weird application because it doesn't work like any other video-friendly application that you've ever used. Not even close.

For example, you're thinking that you can learn a couple of cool tricks right off the bat. Can you hear the sound of the game-show "wrong answer" buzzer going off? It went off because without knowing the basics, or just trying to use it intuitively, AE will sure and truly hose you and frustrate you to the point where you give up, and that's just plain wrong!

But take heart: there are good places to get accustomed to it, and few are better than this posted by Adobe's own After Effects documentation guy, Todd Kopriva:

http://blogs.adobe.com/toddkopriva/2010/01/getting-started-with-after-eff.h...

Read EVERYTHING, and check out all the links. And have fun.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Mark Adams
on Jul 5, 2010 at 1:24:19 pm

Looks like just the ticket - many thanks!!

Return to posts index

Mark Adams
on Jul 16, 2010 at 8:27:27 pm

Hi, that link is excellent, many thanks. So, I'm at the tage where I'm drawing basic shapes in Illustrator and animating them in AE. I've got one star-like shape rotating CW and the same shape right on top of the original rotating CCW. When the movie is rendered, the playback is fare from smooth, and looks like stop frame animation!! Please help...

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jul 16, 2010 at 8:43:26 pm

You probably made a high-quality file. That's good. But your hard drive can't keep up with the high bitrate that goes with high quality, shich isn't so good.

Things are probably fine. Grab that high-quality file, and put it in Quicktime Pro (best 35 bucks you'll spend in many moons), Adobe Media Encoder, or some other specialized compression application. Make a compressed file... H.264 is all the rage lately.

Play this new file. Happiness ensues.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]