ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Tracke Matte Question

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alex KingTracke Matte Question
by on Jul 2, 2014 at 5:37:54 pm

Hello folks. Yet another confusing track matte question I hope you guys can help me with. I think I am missing something rather simple and have been playing with various combination for hours now without success. I am trying to create exactly like the Universal Studios intro, where the letters comes from the back of earth and curves around to the front, straitens out, and stay in place in front of earth. Ok. Here is what I have.

1- A layer of the master scene, consisting of the earth and its space background.

2- An Alpha cutout of the planet, minus the space background ( or vice versa ).

3- An Alpha cutout of the letters only( image sequence from C4D ) animating from the back of the earth to the front.

What should the stacking and precompositions be? I am confused because in the start of the animation, my letters are showing as being in front of the planet, rather revealing one by one when curving around the earth. This happens regardless on various alpha matting combination and luma matting combination.

Any suggestions? Thank you.

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Tracke Matte Question
by on Jul 2, 2014 at 5:44:34 pm

Get a depth map from the C4D file of the letters. Crush the levels and use that for your track mattes.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Alex KingRe: Tracke Matte Question
by on Jul 2, 2014 at 9:30:38 pm

Ahhhh. Thank you. I will give it a try.

Return to posts index

Richard GarabedainRe: Tracke Matte Question
by on Aug 4, 2014 at 2:13:37 pm

you could just duplicate the text, set one to alpha matte of the earth, and the other to alpha inverted they should align seamlessly.

Return to posts index

Alex KingRe: Tracke Matte Question
by on Aug 8, 2014 at 1:14:36 pm

Hi Richard, thanks for the response. I will try your suggestion. However, it may not work because please keep in mind that at one point of the animation, the tail and front of the curving letters appears together and is on one layer. There is no way for AE to know. I have to render everything again with a depth pass.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved