ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

water texture

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gevorg Vardanyanwater texture
by on Jul 25, 2014 at 5:40:36 pm

Hi Everyone,

I'm first time here, I read a lot of usefull things from here, but this one I can't find anywhere.

I made an fizical look water but I can't make it like water, It is like melt silver or anything in what color I put, but I don't know how to make it water, ca you help me.

here is the video's dropbox link. id you want I can send the project too

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lt1mtkpn6u558bk/jur.mp4

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: water texture
by on Jul 28, 2014 at 3:47:50 pm

If you can upload a CS6 version of what you did, I'd take a look at it.

I downloaded your video and messed around it. Created some alpha channels with some keys and then used those as displacement maps on a layer to create refraction. If you can separate the highlights and add them back over your displaced footage I think you'd get a lot closer than trying to come up with a color as a texture.

Here's what I made, maybe it will spark some ideas for you: 7794_watertexturefolder.zip

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Gevorg VardanyanRe: water texture
by on Jul 28, 2014 at 4:44:19 pm

here is the CS6 Ae project file
https://www.dropbox.com/s/xdk2c5qzyidtz9y/jur.aep

Please if you can make it on alpha and explain how to make that shadings

Return to posts index

by on Jul 28, 2014 at 5:53:49 pm

So I downloaded your file. To make an alpha channel, just turn off the "Pale Royal Blue" solid. Then I changed the solid in precomp 1 to pure white. At this point I rendered out "comp 3) to a Quicktime_Animation file with an alpha, to work faster.

I then created a final composition and dragged in a video layer(the picture of the cat). I added comp 3 and put this on the bottom of the stack. I added a displacement effect to the video layer and set "comp 3" as the displacement layer and adjusted the settings.

Next I made a new comp called "highlights" dragged in the cat and water layers, put the cat on the bottom and set the track matte to "alpha matte". I dropped this into my final comp, added a levels effect to boost the whites, then the CC glass effect. Then I just changed the tranfer mode of this layer to "Lighten" and all done.

The thing with water, is it doesn't have a color/texture, it distorts what you see behind it.

Here's my quick little project(I didn't include the pre-rendered water file, it's too big): 7795_jurfinalfolder2.zip

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."

Return to posts index

by on Jul 28, 2014 at 6:07:45 pm

ok, Thanks a lot, I have understand everything, I wanted to make it on alpha channel, I can make it but it will not shown before puting image or texture behind it.

Thanks one more time!

Return to posts index

Richard GarabedainRe: water texture
by on Aug 4, 2014 at 2:11:26 pm

Have you tried Mr.Mercury effect. It can give you a more realistic looking water if you set it on the same path as the water, you might have to set your masks on top afterwards. You might need an alpha channel though.

Return to posts index

by on Jul 28, 2014 at 11:56:51 am

Look at this tutorial and see how created the 'look' of water.

Create Water with Trapcode Particular

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

Return to posts index

by on Jul 28, 2014 at 3:07:12 pm

Thanks, but it can't help me because I didn't use particles, I use little circle shapes for having that glass filling effects, so I can't play with shading.All other effects I knew for having liquid effect

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: water texture
by on Jul 28, 2014 at 3:50:42 pm

You might steal a technique or two from here [link].

However, the old-school Caustics effect might be useful as well. Check out this old tut [link].

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

by on Jul 28, 2014 at 4:37:51 pm

thans but style is another and can't help me, and I didn't steal anything))

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: water texture
by on Jul 28, 2014 at 5:33:33 pm

I didn't mean "steal" like to thieve something. I meant, like, to borrow a technique. To take an idea and re-apply it.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]