ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Replacing footage? New to AE

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Darren WongReplacing footage? New to AE
by on Jul 8, 2014 at 3:23:31 pm

Hello guys, im completely new to AE and i've never used it before this. Recently i had to do a video for my friend's baby so i bought a template...It is said just to replace the pictures...so i thought it was easy but then i didn't seem so, i replaced the footage but then it doesn't display... my pictures are mostly vertical but the template has mostly horizontal....Can u guys help me?? How to do this?

And one more thing why when i click preview it plays 1 frame per 1 ~ 2 secs?? What's the matter? It's bugging me so much X.X

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Replacing footage? New to AE
by on Jul 8, 2014 at 6:28:56 pm

Jumping into the AE is like trying to play a piano without music lessons, you likely won't get it. It has a real steep learning curve. Also, even when working with templates, you need to have a basic understanding of how to use the program.

For instance, when you are previewing, I'm guessing you are pressing the space bar, that's the play button, but AE isn't an editing program, it's a compositing program that needs to render it's layers. In AE, you would want to go to where you want to start your preview and press "B", move to where it should finish and press "N", then press the "." on the number keypad. That will start a RAM preview where all the layers are rendered and loaded into RAM. Once that's done, it will playback the work area in real time.

For the photos that are vertical, you will need to go into replacement composition, press "S" and scale up and adjust the position of the pictures.

You really need to start here. Getting started with After Effects (CS4, CS5, CS5.5, CS6, & CC)

Then if you have more questions---come back.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Darren WongRe: Replacing footage? New to AE
by on Jul 9, 2014 at 1:40:20 am

Thanks for takin your time to reply me, Johnny. What about the replacement of footage?? All i thought was just replacing the footage...but after i did it didn't display on the preview, do i have to do something at the placeholder folder?

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Replacing footage? New to AE
by on Jul 9, 2014 at 3:29:41 am

Open up the placehold folder, there are probably precomps inside of it. With generic names, double click the first one and drag your footage into that precomp. It should ripple forward to the master comp. If not, they're is another issue.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
Thinkck.com

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]