ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Masking problems in AE

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bur CiMasking problems in AE
by on Jul 12, 2014 at 2:36:50 am

Howdy all,

Perhaps I just really am having a hrad time understading basic AE tricks or something is wrong with my software but I am having a real hard time with a mask that I want to do and just really annoyed at this point trying to solve it.

Well as you see, I have a TV and I want to superimpose channel noise on it by using a mask. I've put the noise video clip above my TV file and started to use the pen on the TV file. Here is where I run into issues.

1. When I try to use the pen tool, I try to add points but I'm use to adding points in Illustartor a ceratin way. When I try to add points in After Effects, I can only creat point one and two and nothing beyond that. If I try to add a point it will be created on the a line i've created.

2. I am not sure how but I did create a third point and able to close the path/mask. However, once I select the alpha matte option I do not get the mask with in the path I have made-in fact not at all.

can someone lend a hand I am just all out of patience. Thanks in advance

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Masking problems in AE
by on Jul 12, 2014 at 11:26:26 am

Try watching this basic tutorial on Keying & Transparency or this one, Motion Paths Part 3 - Masks & Paths. The answer is probably in one of those videos.

And being new to AE, you should check out, Getting started with After Effects (CS4, CS5, CS5.5, CS6, & CC)

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

Bur CiRe: Masking problems in AE
by on Jul 12, 2014 at 6:50:43 pm

hey thanks for the tips! I will definitely take a look at these tutorials. Thanks for the reply!!!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved