ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Greeting cards

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jimmyb BoytonGreeting cards
by on Jul 15, 2014 at 8:42:59 am

Hi I'm new to After Effects. I want to make a greeting card and have it open like a card would, how do I do this?

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Greeting cards
by on Jul 15, 2014 at 3:16:51 pm

The gotcha to this is that AE doesn't like to have things share the exact same space, so once you keep that in mind---a simple greeting card isn't too hard to complete. Here's the steps for a simple card, you can embellish it from there.

First make a new comp that will be the size of one fold of the card and name it "Card Front". In my example I made one have the size of 1280x720, so 640x720 and call it Card Front. Create a new solid for your card and enable 3D. Create a text layer and call it "Front of Card", enable the 3D and position and just move it forward on the Z space "-.1". Create another layer of text, "Inside of card", enable 3D, rotate 180 on the y axis(re-position if needed) and then change it's position to ".1". If you go to your custom view 1 now, and press "c" you can orbit around the page we created---it will look like everything is on the page, if you look really close the text/page/text are just a little bit apart. If you 0 the z position for all of them, AE gets confused and things will flip around and show up wrong.

Now you can just duplicate your front card Composition, and rename "Card Back." In my example I renamed the text layers also, just to make it easy to see.

Create your final comp(1280x720) and drag both precomps into the final. Move the anchor point to the edge, or "0" on the x axis for both layers. Enable 3D for both layers and enable the "continuous rasterize" button(looks like a little sun) and move the "Card Front" layer to "-.1" Now just rotate Y axis of your card front and your card will open up.

In my example I added a light and null to add some shadow, and to easily control the card. If I were to make really complicated cards, I would precomp the front text/front inside text and add pictures and layers and such---I did that for the inside layer in the 2nd example.

Check out my example project, should help get you started.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

"I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work."
---THOMAS EDISON on inventing the light bulb.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved