Render a 1 min video
on Jun 29, 2010 at 1:56:01 am

Hi,

Here is my PC spec:

Intel core2dual 6300
ASUS P5LD2 SE Motherboard
ATI Powercolor x1950 Pro
Ram 2GB

I need 30 mins to render a 1 min project. is that normal for my current PC ? My project only consists of 2 solid layer and text with some effects from CC particles. I am using a high compression codec REAL MEDIA.

My target is a 10 mins project but this 1 min sample project has already been giving me headache.

Any settings to take note ?

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
Re: Render a 1 min video
on Jun 29, 2010 at 12:15:07 pm

try rendering to another codec... try quicktime lossless animation. then you can use adobe media encoder (or similar compression utility) to do the compression.

this two step method should allow for faster rendering out of ae and smaller, higher quality compressed files in the end.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jun 29, 2010 at 2:53:33 pm

You should also know that in terms of using AE effectively, 2 gigs of RAM isn't very much at all. If you intend to keep using AE, you really owe it to yourself to get more. A lot more. AE is the ultimate RAM hog.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Jun 29, 2010 at 8:03:41 pm

To add to what Dave said, read this.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Dave Tan
on Jul 7, 2010 at 8:12:39 pm

I bought a new 2GB ram to add up to 4GB.

After reading up, seems like AE only uses 2GB of ram...

Is it a waste of money ?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jul 7, 2010 at 8:47:10 pm

[Dave Tan] "Is it a waste of money ?"

Nope. Not at all. Not if you lose your 32-bit operating system and get a 64-bit one.

Consider this: I'm having a Windows box built for me to run Win 7, and the primary application will be After Effects. I want to have at least 32GB installed, but my IT buddy says she can't find a motherboard that will accept any more than 24GB. There's GOTTA be one....

So your 4 gigs ain't nothin', bud, but it's a real good thing to have more than you had.

But I also re-read your original post, and I did find a time-consuming no-no: you're trying to render to Real Video, as I recall. Read on:

Dave's Stock Answer #3:

Don't use AE to compress files for final delivery. The various compressors are there only to make quick 'n dirty files showing a project's progress to producers, clients, the kids, etc. AE is incapable of doing multipass encoding, a crucial feature that greatly improves the image quality of H.264 and MPEG-type files in particular.

Render a high-quality file from AE, and use a different application to do the compression. Popular ones are Adobe Media Encoder, Sorenson Squeeze and Apple's Compressor, which comes bundled with Final Cut Suite. Even compressing in Quicktime Pro is better than compressing in AE.

Making good-looking compressed files is almost as much an art as it is a science. It is NOT straightforward at all. I recommend asking a few questions at the COW's Compression Techniques forum.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Jul 8, 2010 at 1:20:56 am

[Dave Tan] "I bought a new 2GB ram to add up to 4GB.
After reading up, seems like AE only uses 2GB of ram...
Is it a waste of money ?"
If your system has 2 Gigs of RAM and AE is using 2 Gigs of RAM, what would your operating system be using? What about all those processes that start when your system starts up? Even if AE was limited to 2 Gigs, adding RAM is a very, very good idea.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]