ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Vide plays slow & has static in it

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Anthony Uccello
Vide plays slow & has static in it
on Jun 25, 2010 at 12:18:29 am

I rendered a video

And it runs fairly slow in a video player AND it shows up with statics chunks in it

(here is a picture)
http://i343.photobucket.com/albums/o471/Mooytheman/picture.png[/IMG]

Any idea why its slow and has static?

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: Vide plays slow & has static in it
on Jun 28, 2010 at 1:54:07 pm

Slowness of rendered videos out of AE is very common. In fact, it's expected. That is, it's expected DEPENDING on how you rendered it out.

If you rendered out your video as an uncompressed AVI (especially if it's an HD video), then your hard drive simply can't keep up with the high data rate. You have to have a very fast RAID setup in order to play back a real-time uncompressed HD file.

Now, you are following the correct workflow. Usually AE artists will render an uncompressed file out. That file is then either placed in a non-linear editor (such as Premiere Pro), or reencoded into a deliverable file type using Adobe Media Encoder or some other encoding software.

You can render a compressed video out of AE, but for final delivery you usually want to use multi-pass compression which AE doesn't do. My friend Dave LaRonde explains why:
Dave's Stock Answer #3:

Don't use AE to compress files for final delivery. The various compressors are there only to make quick 'n dirty files showing a project's progress to producers, clients, the kids, etc. AE is incapable of doing multipass encoding, a crucial feature that greatly improves the image quality of H.264 and MPEG-type files in particular.

Render a high-quality file from AE, and use a different application to do the compression. Popular ones are Adobe Media Encoder, Sorenson Squeeze and Apple's Compressor, which comes bundled with Final Cut Suite. Even compressing in Quicktime Pro is better than compressing in AE.

Making good-looking compressed files is almost as much an art as it is a science. It is NOT straightforward at all. I recommend asking a few questions at the COW's Compression Techniques forum.

Now, as far as your static goes we will need some more info such as what sort of settings you used to render. (Also, I can't see what's at your link.) Although, I may have an idea: what version of AE are you using and what format is the video footage in your comp?
If you're using an older version of AE and are trying to use any sort of HDV video, I may know your answer. And once again I will defer to my friend, Mr. LaRonde:
Dave's Stock Answer #1:

If the footage you imported into AE is any kind of the following -- footage in an HDV acquisition codec, MPEG1, MPEG2, mp4, m2t, H.261 or H.264 -- you need to convert it to a different codec.

These kinds of footage use temporal, or interframe compression. They have keyframes at regular intervals, containing complete frame information. However, the frames in between do NOT have complete information. Interframe codecs toss out duplicated information.

In order to maintain peak rendering efficiency, AE needs complete information for each and every frame. But because these kinds of footage contain only partial information, AE freaks out, resulting in a wide variety of problems.

That usually doesn't apply to CS4 and even less to CS5 because they (especially CS5) have really improved their handling of such file types.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Anthony Uccello
on Jul 3, 2010 at 1:41:14 am

Thank you for a very full response!

Appreciate it

Return to posts index

Anthony Uccello
on Jul 3, 2010 at 1:43:07 am

As per ur questions

Im running CS5

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Jul 6, 2010 at 1:05:09 pm

Well, what version of AE you're running does answer one of my questions. :) If my post hasn't resolved your issue, we will need to know more, such as what your encoding settings were, what format and codec your original footage is in, etc.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]