ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

lost effects control panel

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Barczewskilost effects control panel
by on Jun 24, 2010 at 1:13:00 pm

I can't seem to get the effects control panel which allows me to alter settings to the effects i've added to my animated text, to show up in the top left section.

how do i get it back? Ive tried switching to "effects: style workspace setting and have a tab for effects controls but there is nothing in it.

I cannot alter how the effects work.

it used to work but i then x'd it out and now i can't get it back.

thanks for any guidance

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: lost effects control panel
by on Jun 24, 2010 at 1:35:59 pm

window>effect controls should bring it back.

also, you can get to all the controls in the timeline, just twirl down a layer's properties and, if an effect is on the layer, there should be a group called 'effects'. twirl that down, and you see all the effects on that layer. twirl any of those down to reveal the effect's controls.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Jason BarczewskiRe: lost effects control panel
by on Jun 24, 2010 at 2:00:26 pm

thanks for the help!

effects control is already checked

under the layer that has the effect, there is no group called effects, so i guess you can't alter effects used from the effects and presets section on the right?

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: lost effects control panel
by on Jun 24, 2010 at 2:08:01 pm

[Jason Barczewski] "under the layer that has the effect, there is no group called effects, so i guess you can't alter effects used from the effects and presets section on the right?"

you can modify them...

i think that you may not have had that layer selected when you added the preset, or the layer you had selected will not work with the preset -- ie, you added a text preset to a solid.

try selecting the layer again and reapplying the preset.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

by on Jun 24, 2010 at 2:33:46 pm

I think I'm selecting properly as I've tried dragging the effect onto the actual text as well as dragging it to the layer in the timeline.

I can see that the effect has been added and works but if you look at the picture i uploaded, i cannot change the setting of it, there is no effects setting in the timeline section dropdown boxes

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: lost effects control panel
by on Jun 24, 2010 at 2:40:23 pm

I see one potential confusion here:

The text animation presets are not effects. They are animation presets. They're different things. Animation presets are collections of properties and keyframes. It is possible for animation presets to include effects, but it's not always the case. The text animation presets do not include effects.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

Jason BartRe: lost effects control panel
by on Jun 24, 2010 at 2:47:46 pm

since they do not include effects, they cannot be altered?

for instance, making a preset a preset's runtime shorter or longer?

Return to posts index

by on Jun 24, 2010 at 2:48:28 pm

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: lost effects control panel
by on Jun 24, 2010 at 2:57:18 pm

You misunderstand.

Text animation presets are made out of keyframes on text animator properties, not effects. You can change those keyframes, add and remove text animators, and otherwise modify the text animation all you want. It just has nothing to do with effects.

I think that it might help if you begin at the beginning, and work through these materials:
"Getting started with After Effects"

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]